Author Topic: Fallen By The Way Adds and Textures  (Read 27303 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Fallen By The Way Adds and Textures
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:03 pm »
I am assuming the magic animations are in a similar model format as the enemies/npcs unfortunately, which at this point are not cracked.

Cracking it could likely do exactly what holy suggests in having a constant stream of snow etc radiating from an invisible group of enemies.

Question is...can anyone crack the mdl file :(

I'm going to turn my focus to the model files in general within the next couple months. But I reckon most of what makes spells different is not in the models themselves. It's worth noting though that spells are not individual prf files like everything else. They're stored in a single file as I recall, which means adding/removing spells coherently and automatically would probably require a special homebrew application that imports/exports etc spells from the unified file.

I have a thread around here that has all you need to know to work with individual spells specifically, but I didn't go as far as to try to modify spells.

I think an interesting place to start hacking spells would be to try to make the wizard monster fire off more interesting spells like the ones done by the elemental salamander things... then you could make fire/ice wizards etc, like the boss in DD. That would just require copying over the right bytes in the file, and replacing them with whatever the salamanders have there. Making monsters with a wider array of magic-like attacks in general would also be cool (I think they can have more than most do)

I apologize, but I just don't go in for this kind of piecemeal hacking. I leave that for others so I can concentrate on matters more straightforwardly.

PS: Another interesting thing to look for I think would be if monsters share the NPC flag that disables their being attack-able. Something tells me they don't (I kinda remember the converted to NPC monster in DD not be attack-able) but that would be interesting... if not for particle emitter's then for wraith like monsters etc. Also a late thought I had on particle emitting monsters.... I don't have enough experience to say whether or not you could wire the monster to spew something continuously or if they'd only do it if they thought they were attacking the player (that could complicate matters)

PPS: Can I just add how much I think I enjoy Som. I seriously doubt most software in the same league as Som could've been coaxed into Unicode translation via gettext. That totally ups its viability as a real universal / enduring platform.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:09:07 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2010, 03:30:39 am »
Hello all, As you all Know FBTW will have a few farm like settings, and I have built some corn fields, Well what cornfield would be complete without one of these guys........ I am showing this because this is anonther example of my "Mabjects" the Cross is a map piece, and the scarecrow is an object, This method allows one to make fantastic looking LARGE objects, that A don't cause slowdown..... B can make pieces with two seperate colisions(Buildings you can walk in with better detail) and C equal your poly ratio of normaly large memory consuming objects, into large objects without flicker or disapearing issues as map pieces do not disapear at angles large objects do............... and besides I spent two days on this guy had to show it to my peeps:)............ML

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2010, 06:22:04 am »
Now that's really sweet!! And well done :wink:

PS: Wow.... maybe I should definitely develop a map piece synthesis tool. That would totally help people build custom sections, without doing anything overly complicated. Best idea in a long time / maybe the bases for a map piece working tool (edited: I think I'll call it Somcat and let it combine map pieces into one custom piece, bake objects into pieces, import graphics from other file formats to the same end, and save pieces in a variety of different ways... ie. pseudo export -- speaking of cats once Somimp is good to go, one of you better make us a wandering cat NPC... I will probably develop this alongside Somimp, and I'm considering Sompro for working with prf files -- though with imps and cats already I may be unable to resist coming up with another creature themed name...)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:55:18 am by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2010, 02:52:43 pm »
Wow man very well made!

This is the kinda stuff I like, unique landmarks and objects in 3D games, instead of the same old thing over and over.

I have to say this looks really good.

Hey ML, did you try that seperate install registry trick yet to see if you can get a different set of map tiles for each map relatively quickly?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline johnnypark66

• Mace Masher
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2010, 09:33:20 pm »
Woaah!!!!!! Scarecrow Jesus FTW!!!! he died to ward off crows for your sins... :cool:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2010, 03:09:52 pm »
Wow man very well made!

This is the kinda stuff I like, unique landmarks and objects in 3D games, instead of the same old thing over and over

Personally I prefer generic stuff in games and the same old thing over and over again. Which is why I like this, because a scarecrow is pretty damn generic / re-usable. The less personality the better I say. If people want more, they can always reskin it/modify for their game.

It looks better quality than most custom made stuff, and very indicative of a generic scarecrow. The texture appears to be tearing a little in the shirt in the screenshot however.

I'm not sure if we need a community compact or not. Since we don't really get to license stuff... though theoretically we could form a license for stuff added by the community. I think in spirit at least we should probably be regarding anything that appears in a Som game free to re-use by everyone. The one exception being the maps which are really not very rip-able anyway given just the game output files. This ethic anyway is what draws me personally to Som, and seems to be implicit in the design of Som given everyone was expected to re-use the stuff that came with it, it is communal by design as a platform. Also I don't believe Som games should be stand-alone products. We should encourage everyone to re-use stuff and feedback into the collective pile as much as possible (though it's reasonable if your game ventures into a new kind of setting altogether that may not be an option for you... in which case your project must be very awesome!!)

I think the strength of the Som community will ultimately be everyone feeding from the same trough and iteratively expanding upon the same themes and structures. I can't think of any shared platforms designed to facilitate divergent games or any free/communal media repository building effort for making games which has been demonstratively successful at all. I think Som will be different. And I'm not sure why, but it feels very natural to me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:16:30 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2010, 12:12:14 am »
Wow thanks, Holy Diver, I have to agree with you in a lot of respects about the sharing of SoM made objects, and I enjoy sharing, parts, thoughts and ideas, I feel that if certain bugs can be worked out of the system, and the advances continue, SoM be be a great platform... I hope that by putting great stuff on the board, that others will get creative, and post what they make, and happiness will be had by all :dazed:  I also sell my objects to the general public at 3d studio and they are hi-res, but I re-do them so to speak for SoM.... Meaning I dumb them down quite a bit, I have to use lower textures, and reduce poly's. I GIVE away all my som pieces. thanks for the props, I love SoM, and will continue to help folks get the same feelings that I have , even after FBTW is complete,  P.S Your right about the shirt. When I SoM ed it I guess you would call it I lowered the poly count on the shirt and was too lazy to re-atlas the whole thing to fix the flannel on the shirt.  Once I saw it it in SoM, I kinda dug the effect and decided to keep it as is....... ok ok you got me I am just damb lazy to reatlas the whole thing again:) but here it is for anyone else whom wants it as it works for any field setting, I have several types of corn parts too if any request them........ two kinds of 3-D and two kind of 2-D ultra low poly for BIG fields.......... Key point the cross is a map piece..... You MUST put the following textures in your map texture directory.......WOOD, GROUND and PIN1STUMP....... put all the other textures INCLUDING , WOOD into your Object Model Directory, yall should know where the rest go, if not go rectify and read some earlier post my hands hurt from typing right now.......... I have not made a map icon as of yet so you would want to make one that fits YOUR map set....... Once you place the map piece, you just place the scarecrow as an object.. it's defaulted to go go right on the cross perfectly no alignment needed, and the size of 1.0 is perfect........ ans as always ....Happy Modeling.............ML

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2010, 08:16:33 am »
Hey Joe! Love the new work, keep it up keep it up!  :biggrin:

PS if you need any artwork for your game (ex. image files) let me know i have, or had... Somewhere... Artwork that could easily fit into your game.

I can scan it all off for you, because you've done alot for me already my friend.

Mr V

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2010, 08:00:28 pm »
At this moment I'm really in web dev mode regarding Som. I'm both trying to get the translation hosting service up to finish up my work in the translation dept but also trying to get a presentable website there before everything officially goes live. Another major component of the website will be a database of everything that comes with Som and of course including everything people will be adding. At that point everyone will be expected to work within this framework more or less.

In the meantime Todd has informed me he's trying to provide a means for people to upload / file away addons. I've told Todd if he can get the files organized I'll program his addon pages to dynamically include the uploaded content. That would have to suffice until I can build a proper database (or someone else does something)

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2010, 10:31:31 pm »
Thank you Todd, for the link, over the next few days everyone please check the link as it is currently broken and will be fixed over the next few days...... My site is a work in progress as I am not very good at Web design....... but again thanks Todd for the link, :)................ML