Author Topic: Fallen By The Way Adds and Textures  (Read 27304 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Fallen By The Way Adds and Textures
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »
So this a fantasy universe then.... funny, everything I'd seen seemed to indicate FBTW was doing something more contemporary/based in "reality" (guessing that's the opposite of fantasy) atmosphere with Som. So much for my preconceptions I guess :rolleyes:

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2010, 12:07:45 am »
I love fantasy, my first love was the movie krull in 83, then legend in 85, then willow well you get the idea, so yeah this my fantasy story.... Mr Holy Diver, I do humbly request your assistance on issue I am pressed with......You have done great work with your EX project and I applaud your efforts. I heard you might be able to help with lighting effects.. I want to have multiple "times of day" for eight map sets..... I do not wish to have to make three or more clone maps to get this effect.. I know for sure that by running multiple instances of som and clever outputing you can have more than 4 SKY sets..... However I think you could come up with a easier solution.you have proven results... I respect your devotion to the sword of moonlight tool. So now I need to ask for your help, not just for me but other interested builders.......... Thank you for listening, you can IM me if you need to as well , thank you sir........ One more thing the reason I need a better fix is because, FBTW has 61 proposed maps and 2 special effect maps, and if I HAVE to go the route of multiple maps for those areas I will have to either cut the game down, or stick to single times of day:(

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2010, 02:59:05 pm »
^We can do some stuff to that effect, but it will get better further down the line once we start mapping out Som's memory (everyone will have to help in that effort once I make it easy as possible)

Right now I can easily make the Elapsed Time clock read out like a day to day clock based on the player's locale (how people are used to seeing time in their country etc)

I can also give you a starting time for the clock. For whenever you game begins. I can easily sync the global light to this clock and change the background colour... which should be visible thru the sky if chosen to use it.

However this stuff is just for demo purposes because it's really too soon to do this right until the memory is mapped out. For instance the "Elapsed Time" value needs to be found in memory so the bug when continuing from the start screen can be fixed (which will also require finding that time in the save files)

Also really the Elapsed Time if used that way would have to be stopped while in the menu. As it is now in the menu time will keep going while action will stop.

I will be taking care of all of this for my own project, so I would not worry. But right now I think people want me to work on a model importer after the translation work is sealed... even though I had planned to move on to window play and memory mapping next.

PS: Eventually there will be a number of options for replacing the sky with virtually anything you can imagine, and many other atmospheric effects available, but that is even further down the road.

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2010, 02:16:30 pm »
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.............. New stuff for FBTW ...................... finally made realistic snow as an event can only use this in small areas at a time. but looks like the real deal.................

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2010, 03:37:13 pm »
Hah!  Very nice.

I had some events in DD for rain and blowing leaves but I could not get the affect I wanted so I trashed it.

Good to know you got this working...maybe youll find some use for the snow set I made :)  (would be nice if it wasnt a complete waste!)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 06:09:32 pm »
Som actually has a fairly traditional particle effects system in the enemy magic dept. I've done some work in the past isolating the magic information (trying to make the enemy magic usable by the player) but I did not really get into the details because it became clear enemy/player magic has different AI (of course there is probably some bytes in the file that would flip that around but I didn't want to go that far)

Anyway combine with the ambient effects pseudo-enemies you guys cooked up it would probably be possible to make invisible monsters that throw effects like snow down from the skies. If you could figure out what bytes make an enemy a flier you wouldn't have the falling thru the ground prob I'd think. An invisible/collision-less model is also probably doable.

You could do all of that without anything like Ex. With Ex I want to add both 2D special effects (screen warping heatwaves and underwater lenses etc) but 3D fields around the player would also be possible. With Ex it might even work to have the player cast hidden/free spells around themselves without even knowing it.

PS: Monster magic based snow or rain maybe could even do collision effects when hitting the ground I think. Settle on the ground I dunno (would also explode on monsters/players too I reckon)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:14:27 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2010, 12:01:42 am »
Thanks Todd for the props, your snow set was the inspiration to make animated snow in the first place:) This was just some test stuff I am redefining the snow, and removing polys, ect for a smoother effect , but you all get the drift, of where it's going......... I have plenty more cool stuff I am working on, so stay tuned SoM fans........ and please others , post some of your latest work, We still need to inspire others, Som can still be a great tool if you mind the boundries, and have fun with it:) FBTW will KICK ASS............ (even if it's a little primative) it will kick PRIMATIVE ASS....... :dazed: I can't see making rain that would work, think the slow down would be an issue if it had to be in a large area.... Anyway More to come:) PS Todd could you send me your event for the waterwheel... I can make an awesome snow effect, but your motion was perfectly smooth, I can't seem to get a full fluid rotation...... I use this event.......... LEAF00 MOVE OBJECT  (yada Yada) I set the rotation Y to 195- I set the speed to 64.  MOVE TO NEXT LEAF - LEAF01 MOVE OBJECT (Yada Yada) Rotation Y to 2, Speed to 64 MOVE TO NEXT LEAF LEAF02 MOVE OBJECT (yada yada) Rotation Y to 195, Speed to 64 MOVE TO LEAF00................ Now with that event set JUST like that I get a constant rotation that works WELL for snow cause it is random with speed, But I want to make a smooth event like you had for other things , so could you send your event timing if you could I would be greatful:)  PSS Holy Diver, I AM VERY INTERESTED in you enemy for weather effect and could possibly solve a "rain" issue any progress you make please keep me posted thank you sir:) ......................................ML

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2010, 12:32:10 am »
Also I was raised in a small farm town in Virginia,.......So yes I am making a BUNCH of outdoors farm like stuff, in the game for the starting areas:)  Even gonna have a silo and a barn or too:)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2010, 04:32:49 pm »
PSS Holy Diver, I AM VERY INTERESTED in you enemy for weather effect and could possibly solve a "rain" issue any progress you make please keep me posted thank you sir:) ......................................ML

I was suggesting something for someone to take a shot at (it's not something I know much of anything about or have any real motivation for looking into)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »
I am assuming the magic animations are in a similar model format as the enemies/npcs unfortunately, which at this point are not cracked.

Cracking it could likely do exactly what holy suggests in having a constant stream of snow etc radiating from an invisible group of enemies.

Question is...can anyone crack the mdl file :(
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder