Author Topic: Fallen By The Way Adds and Textures  (Read 27307 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Fallen By The Way Adds and Textures
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 04:33:23 pm »
I have had some odd behavior from SOM with monsters that are placed on map slots that have no ground associated with them.

The reason I bring this up is a few times before I have not put 'set zones' to box in enemies to placed map parts and when they fell the game crashed....black screen...repeating music clip etc.

I definitely tracked it down to an enemy falling, and it might even have to do with the 'unlimited' appearance checkmark when set to normal appear.  Basically once an enemy fell off the map when i walked out and back into appear range the game crashes.

Anyways...the point is, if you are going to use the enemies place them over an actual map piece.  I thought as you pointed out earlier John, that fixed allowed them to float, which it certainly appears to do, but it didnt fix my problem with them causing this crash.  I had to put the enemies (fixed or not) onto map tiles rather than blank tiles to keep this from happening.

BTW, the sound I attached to the termite above makes a REALLY good ocean waves ambience.  I scattered these little invisible bugs all around my western shore and now it sounds like you are approaching the ocean when you reach the edges of the beach.  I know you had mentioned to me a while back your game would have a beach...try it out and enjoy the sounds!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 02:40:03 am »
Good evening All, I have been so busy with sand set, almost done if any one wants it let me know. I should be done with the whole set Friday I hope, I made transitional pieces so to make a flowing effect notice the pic below how the grass has a border leading into the sand , very tedious to make everything match but this as close as I could get:) So what do you think?

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 08:13:39 am »
I think it looks great.

May I make a suggestion though?

There is nothing wrong with the pieces you have, but you may want to make a variant of the sand with a cliff-like drop off...in case you ever want to make the water see-through.  That way you can have transparent water and give your small island the feel of jutting out of the water...and could also layer the ocean floor so you can walk a ways into the water without dying.
Site Founder

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 02:18:47 am »
Thank you my friend, I will Make use of the shallow cliff piece and slope one as well.. I have a question though. (A) can you make a MAP water piece semi transparent? ( I have a lava and now a green water set as well if any one wants them). And (B) I have noticed that I can see see evil grid lines from afar. Let me tell the tale, my 3 day sand set tale, I will cut to the chase and get to the important parts:) using all my new aquired knowledge of SoM , now vast I must say. I began using Todd's Snow set as the foundation for my sand pieces. I made a 30 piece set of all the basics, and they looked like............... Crap, I shall say in resepct. the pieces did not line up correctly like stock SoM outdoor set pieces. the slope pieces , you could see gaps between sections. Gross and unaceptable. and the textures were too perfect... Todd's textures for his snow were perfect.. I began to study the problem.... After a dozen yoo-hoo's I noticed his set was completly custom from the "Grass" stock SoM set, but by using the whole 256x256 texture it made for a perfect translation of your texture, (Great custom work by the way Todd  :cool:). I studied the actual MSM file and then the TXR to notice that the stock set only used one quarter of the texture (yko01.txr) and the MSM gave specific X and Z axis on the txr. Everyone still with me?
I then made my whole set out of customs of stock "Grass" set. and I kept the stock MHM data in tact giving the new sand pieces a 3-d look like the regular set, and PERFECT!!!!! the all lined up and look like Da-Bomb. Only problem is that I think due to the color of my sand. From a distance you can see light grid lines, they disapear when you approach them.. On my transitional pieces the grass is fine. only the sand can you see the lines, so I know it has something to do color. Please kind friends I have spent days on this set, is there a fix for this .I don't want to darken the sand too much or else it will look like plian ol dirt.

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 02:30:01 am »
oh yeah these are some of the actual BMP files used I kept The name very close to the old one yko01.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 09:01:21 am »
Hmm that is odd...I am curious, what do you have your ambient lighting set to on this map...it looks like the light may be focused from the horizon toward the right side of the screen?

Like in the picture below...if your ambient lightsource is along the horizon, or close to it, it will cast shadows toward the edges of map tiles...this is probably most obvious with the castle piece 901 if you want to see what im talking about.

Try moving your light source so that its higher in the sky or better yet so that its where the 'noon' sun would be straight overhead...see if that helps.  Also test this out with only one ambient lightsource turned on...having more than one makes things rather difficult.

lastly...if you want any of the model files for the snow set/cliff set etc that I made, just let me know and I can hopefully save you time having to create all of your parts from scratch.
Site Founder

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 12:41:34 am »
Merry Christmas Eve,
 I just wanted to wish you all a merry christmas and stuff, I have been playing dark destiny. The only game I have touched since I started my project 3 months ago. Todd, Great game by the way I will definatly play this often, when I get frustrated with building:) Great music as well very involving. A definate must for all die hard KF fans. I liked how you had al hunt's sign the same as in KF1(US) perfect placement as well........ I still can't get to edit my MDL object(s) though and it is making my christmas not so merry :crying: John was right about the first problem. I had a copy of my new teture in the same folder as the object, and what happened was , the tim viewer tried to load my new texture and not 1.BMP so I fixed that ..... but once I edit 1.BMP and try to to reinsert it I still get the message saying something like "Moron you do know that this tim is 14,654 bits larger than the origanal, Do you wish to keep inserting?" and once again you have to say yes.. It looks like it should work because when you reload the same object you made in the timviewer the texture pallet is right:) but in the real SoM world & the object viewer world, the texture is an evil ugly milky white abomanation, that is the lump of coal in my stocking. The grinch of my holiday, I have been just like santa , and checked my work twice but I still can't simply edit the texture of a odject with a MDL ext. no matter what I do. I have asked Santa to give me the knowledge. But more than likly I think John, Todd, or Tom will get the info from Santa and relay it to me. Hint Hint:) With John's SoM knowledge I think he worked as one of Santa's Elves and defected once the economy forced Santa to switch to a lesser health care plan:) anyway any Ideas on this would be super:) Merry Christmas Eve Once Again:)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 06:26:49 am »
if the stone bridge model is whats giving you a problem...i can probably remodel it very quickly and just make a regular .mdo file out of it so you can whatever you like with it.

let me know.
Site Founder

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 12:08:01 pm »
Hey Thanks Todd, I need you to do that to "STN.MDL and BOX1.MDL if you could :) and maybe later teach me how to convert an MDL to an MDO:) so I wont have to bug you later:) Old saying goes "give a man a fish, he eats for the day.. Teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime:).... Anyway, that seems to be the only way , I have tried to edit the STN.MDL but it's color pallet is only 256 color and in grey scale hard to get red brick in greyscale.... So thanks Todd Merry Christmas my friend:) (SEE PICS TO SEE WHAT I AM DOING) I am tryting to get this model to look and function like this one, the other bridge stone is just a little small for my needs.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 12:14:02 pm »
Oh i havent a clue how to actually take an mdl and convert it to an mdo :) im just going to model one for you that matches :P
Site Founder