Author Topic: A slight "problem" with some of my older music...  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
A slight "problem" with some of my older music...
« on: December 02, 2009, 12:18:52 am »
Once upon a time, there was a small little label called Nascent Frost Productions. Its long been dead now, but I was there when this label was getting on its feet. Phil Diaz with an Encryptor album, and me (Tom Eversole) with an Akryal album being the first two death metal releases for this label.

History lesson over, I tried hooking up someone with my old (and only) Akryal release; a 12 minute EP called "Cimmerian Lethargy", but ran into an interesting problem.

The problem isn't that its being sold. That's fine - I've been redirecting Akryal sales for this abandoned project for years. The problem is the price.

http://www.amazon.com/cimmerian-lethargy-Akryal/dp/B000N9GRGY

http://www.reystar.com/shop/music/showitem.php?Operation=ItemLookup&ItemId=B000N9GRGY&Title=cimmerian%20lethargy

Someone recently (today) contacted me about the album, and all I can find is it being sold with a beyond ridiculous price. These two places are the only ones left online that appear to be selling the album.

Why that much?

I thought about contacting the seller (who's using the Akryal name) at those two different places, but what would that really do? Obviously they have the right to sell it at that price - why would someone joke with something like this?
...besides, I have not yet found a way to contact them.

If someone was looking to rip someone off, they'd sell the CD for $50, and not send it. Who in their right mind would PAY or SELL THAT price? If its an attempt to have it "archived" into amazon.com or reystar.com, WHY?

I just don't understand. Normally I would spend several seconds scoffing at the entire circumstance before I move on, but considering I made the music for this solo project, designed the artwork.....

....ok, it feels like I'm an artist, sold two sculptures for $10 each, and I find out they're going for $2,000 in an art show 8 years later. I've got a flood of emotions here - almost to the point of being alexithymia.

Mostly confusion with mixes of regret?, egoism?, paranoia?, happiness?, anger?

If someone would care to offer possible explanations, perhaps even emotional support, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: A slight "problem" with some of my older music...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:27:23 am »
The guy is a retard?

Is that a fair explanation?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:14:51 am »
The sellers from both the links are from different states.  Two retards?

So, uh, am I being mocked with it being sold at that price?

Is the CD just that good and glorious, that its worth every penny?   :corkysm17:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:22:57 am »
I would assume if they felt it worth that price is because its probably rare as hell.

I have seen some rare movie soundtracks go for a few hundred bucks...2k is pushing it way beyond anything i have ever seen though.

And as far as there being two retards?  Absolutely...have you been out and about lately?  Just about everyone is retarded :)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline darchangel

• Mace Masher
  • Guardian of the Light
    • http://www.kings-field.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 01:04:34 pm »
So let me see if I get this right...this 2 people selling your album, bought it from you originally? Or how did they get a hold of your music?

I'm assuming you no longer have that track...
He who was born with the light, will die with the light...rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:16:02 pm »
Nascent Frost would/should have had the majority of those CDs.  I think I only had about 50 to distribute myself, which I gave half of them away.  Jeff, the owner of Nascent Frost would have had the rest of the CDs - but I lost touch with him shortly after the release.

I have one mint condition one, and my mom has a shrink wrapped new one, and a mint one. 
As far as I know, the label pressed 1000 of them, and that's it.

I've also seen rare CDs go for a couple hundred dollars as well, but never the price this is going for.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 04:31:57 pm »
It still can't beat Mario!!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000II1B/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1259789167&sr=8-5&condition=new

As far as I can tell, that second seller just links back to Amazon. I've seen quite a few listings like that on Amazon and I suspect it's just wishful thinking on the seller's part. Amazon only charges a fee if the item sells which leads to a lot of 'wishful thinking'.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:18:05 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 02:32:41 pm »
Thanks John!  I think that was probably the most spot-on "advice" I've gotten so far in this matter.
YAY for mario, eh?

Well, the seller contacted me. This is what was said:

the answer to your question is simply because no one else had it when i listed it...i am fine with negotiating on the price, usually when i set something up that high, someone gives me an offer and i take it from there...usually i realistically get anywhere from $250-$400 dollars for things people consider collectable or impossible to get...hope this helps you out

It makes much more sense why it was that price.  Now is the time to e-mail him back with an offer myself.  ^_^

Offline TheSpaceBetween

• Bow Bearer
  • deedravelocity@yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 09:16:23 am »
keep in mind that an item is worth what a person is willing to pay for it.

as for the response from this person mas to the high charge, yeah for surely in plain english: "wishful thinking" :)
"Men are here to replace us.  There is no way to stop this change.  One day they will each be just as powerful as the genius who created them."

-Shaddam