Author Topic: Finished My First Test Run  (Read 2466 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Finished My First Test Run
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:29:10 am »
Finally finished going through the whole game and testing this week while I was out sick.

My final save game has probably 85% of the items, and it took me roughly 9.5 hours (knowing where to go and using the debug speed + save anywhere really helped).

I imagine it will likely take a new player ~15 hours to beat and for someone trying to get everything probably close to 20 hours.

The good news:

-there was no need for any level grinding to progress through the game, so it should be relatively non-stop progression.  This is a big plus in my book.  The end game level should be 29-32 if you play straight through it without grinding.  This is good and is on par with the other king's fields.

-i swapped in many lower poly models for the objects that were causing most of the slowdowns, this appears to have helped the game play on slower machines.

-all in game enemies/weapons/armor and leveling have been balanced to my liking, so that annoying part is finally over.

The bad news:

- I have to rework the opening video, 600mb for that is unacceptable.

- I still have to complete the library map (the collector's area of the game) and it will be a pain in the arse.

- I still need an ending vid.

- Some cleanup is still needed on the in game text boxes, there are misaligned sentences galore.

But thats it, give me a week or so and I should hopefully have this thing ready for its beta release.

Tom, Im going to skip having you test it, I think I have debugged it pretty well, and if not, I can always patch it.

John, I need to pick your brain about some things I need to finish up, I will email you with some stuff I have on my mind.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
Re: Finished My First Test Run
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:01:24 am »
I'm glad you are almost done with it. (yes, I've come back already...) I still look forward to playing it. I hope you will finish it in a week like you said. (But it seems like you never meet the deadline you set) Seeing how close you are though, you could most likely meet this deadline you set.
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:15:21 pm »
you are absolutely right, ive been terrible at hitting my dates!

I still intend on shipping my beta dvds out on the 15th...

The game is finished.  I am going through a third test run now and fixing any bugs I find and cleaning up some of the texts etc.

I added in some new custom models this last week to spruce up some of the backgrounds, and may dabble a bit in the animated water stuff john recently uncovered

(john I need to make animated red/green/gold water, I will have to ping you on how to turn on the animation)

I am finishing up the ending cut scene this week and the installer program that will come with the game.  So, in theory there should be no reason I dont hit the 15th as a launch day.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:32:47 am »
I can't wait to see what you where able to do with SoM. It seems all I was able to get done was writing the story-line. It's possable that if I play the game, it might make me want to try SoM again.
My book (It's not realy a book yet, and may never be published...) Seems to be coming along nicely. If I go back to SoM, I'm going to need to make another story-line for it. (It most likely won't be too hard.)
I've thought of trying again, but it seemed difficult for me. If I spend a little more time I could mabey get the hang of it. I'm still going to think about it...

I know I got off topic, but that happens a lot on here.
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja: