Author Topic: Eternal Ring  (Read 7141 times)

Offline BurningDoom

• Long Sword Swinger
Eternal Ring
« on: November 18, 2009, 06:31:15 pm »
I've heard this game compared against King's Field several times. Has anyone here played it? I'm thinking about picking it up, especially considering the low price. But I don't want to get a game that is only like KF in spirit but not quality.

-Nate-

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Eternal Ring
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:15:43 pm »
You will hear varying opinions....mine will likely be the lowest.

The game is not quality at all to me...it is truly obvious as From's first attempt at a PS2 game.

It offers hints of KF, a few nods here and there, and the overall gameplay is similar, but the game overall is lackluster, generic, and very short.

Here is a list of my dislikes:

1- The music for the most part is dull, similar to KF4 for me...so if you like KF4 you might like it.
2- There is only one type of weapon swing attack, and thats the rapier thrust style.
3- Toward the end of the game you become far too overpowering, acquiring a skill to stab multiple times in one swing and basically one shotting enemies.  There are even enemies (giant cockatrice) at the end of the game that will basicly just level you up every time you kill one.
4- The ring system is generic, its all random, so you can't guarantee that using your rare components will yield a good ring.
5- Dear god, the ending, so very very bad.

Anyways, its worth 5.99 or so...pick it up just for the hell of it.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline scott

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:40:12 am »
I've played Eternal ring. I thought the story was good, but very short. I have to agree with dmpdesign about everything except the ending.

Opinions varry from person to person, buy the game and see if you like it or not.
Yeah, I'm still around. I haven't much to say anymore however I do lurk around here. :ninja:

Offline BurningDoom

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:14:09 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll stick with Diadem of Maunstaut for now.

-Nate-

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 06:26:04 pm »
Eternal Ring! 

King's Field The Arcade Game!

Thumbs up in my book!

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:18:17 pm »
Take my input with a grain of salt, I am pretty harsh on games that are modelled after KF but arent quite as good.

If you have the chance to pick it up cheap, definitely do it.
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:19:21 pm »
Speaking of Eternal Ring, I noticed Knight Teen does not have the soundtrack up on his site.  I peeked around looking for it but could not find any download links.

There was a soundtrack released in Japan, and I suppose we could rip it off the disc if anyone knows how?
Site Founder

Offline darchangel

• Mace Masher
  • Guardian of the Light
    • http://www.kings-field.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 12:46:59 pm »
I have the official soundtrack, no need to rip it.

Knight's reason for not posting it was because he wanted to keep the site mainly for KF.

And for Burning Doom, I do recommend Eternal Ring: It's faster than your normal KF, but it doesn't have as much equipment. You have to rely on your wits and your ability with Magic. I think of it as playing the role of a pure mage in a KF world. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:54:08 pm by darchangel »
He who was born with the light, will die with the light...rage against the dying of the light.

Offline BurningDoom

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 04:21:36 pm »
And for Burning Doom, I do recommend Eternal Ring: It's faster than your normal KF, but it doesn't have as much equipment. You have to rely on your wits and your ability with Magic. I think of it as playing the role of a pure mage in a KF world. 

Oh, ouch. I don't know then. I always like to play the warrior/fighter in an RPG. But for how cheap it is, I guess I can give it a go as a mage.

-Nate-

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 05:17:58 pm »
Care to share that Eternal Ring soundtrack Darchangel?  I really dig the music from that game!

I would buy Eternal Ring again, even if it were $20.  Its a really good game.  ....but I don't have a PS2 or PS3.  >_<'

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.