Author Topic: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?  (Read 75774 times)

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
Re: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2011, 10:53:57 pm »
Thanks, Todd!

:coolani:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2011, 11:48:04 pm »
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/STA/abyss.zip

This should be a fully functional patched iso.  The zip is ~330 mb and will unpack to 1.45 gig.

Let me know if you have any problems getting it to work.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline NoSoup4you

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2011, 02:56:07 pm »
Excellent! Don't know what you did differently, but the game's up and running with ESR. And it's awesome. I'm gonna have to finish the first game first, though.

You guys could give some lessons to the team that was supposedly translating Echo Night 2...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:08:01 pm by NoSoup4you »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2011, 08:14:03 pm »
This... this is the happiest day of my life! Okay maybe not the best but one of the best! But hey i got a question. If i burn the iso of the game with the patch apply to it on a blank dvd, will i be able to play it on my modded ps2 in english and all?
I ran earlier versions of a translated STA from a DVDR on my chipped big PS2. But the DVDR brand is important; some cheap brands won't boot at all in a PS2.

I can also verify that the current translated version of STA will run on a PS2 from a hard drive using HDLoader. So any trouble playing the game is probably from the loading method and not caused by the translation patch.

It also runs pretty well on PCSX 0.9.6 using the v1.60 USA BIOS. My PC is Dual core 3GHz CPU, Nvidia GTS250.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:59:18 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2011, 10:31:13 pm »
Does anyone know how the ps3's with the ps2 hardware in them work with foreign games?  Will it play games from any  region?
Site Founder

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2011, 05:38:01 am »
Thanks for the ISO, just downloaded! And thanks for translating and creating a patch, guys! :D

Will it play games from any  region?
No, it won't. The PS3 itself isn't region free, the PS3 games are. PS1 and PS2 games are region locked, so on a PAL PS3 you can play any PS3 game out there, but only PAL PS1 games(and PAL PS2 games, depending on model).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:32:24 am by Guyra »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2011, 11:25:59 am »
K thats what I thought.

Its interesting, playing abyss last night its pretty obvious to me that shadow tower and shadow tower abyss HAD to be a different team of folks at from software, they are very very similar to each other but there is just an overall  feeling I dont get playing the shadow tower games that I did playing the KF ones, I cant pinpoint the differences but just overall, it seems like the folks who made the shadow tower series are like the minor leaguers at From Software.

Im not saying the games arent good, I just think they lack a quality that the KF games had.

Anyways, I am playing abyss now, getting my ass kicked in classic from software style fashion!
Site Founder

Offline RPGFAN

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2011, 04:57:38 pm »
So i burn the ISO of the game with the translation patch attach to it on a blank DVD-R, then boot it up on my ps2 using swap magic and it works! Very well if i do say so.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2011, 05:49:14 pm »
K thats what I thought.

Its interesting, playing abyss last night its pretty obvious to me that shadow tower and shadow tower abyss HAD to be a different team of folks at from software, they are very very similar to each other but there is just an overall  feeling I dont get playing the shadow tower games that I did playing the KF ones, I cant pinpoint the differences but just overall, it seems like the folks who made the shadow tower series are like the minor leaguers at From Software.

Im not saying the games arent good, I just think they lack a quality that the KF games had.

Anyways, I am playing abyss now, getting my ass kicked in classic from software style fashion!
It almost seems like From was going for absolute minimalism in the ST series and the ST plots don't seem to have the same driving force that the KF games do. KF had so much background lore that helped increase the immersion and the player was a purpose-driven part of the story. In ST, it's almost like a battle arena where your main purpose is just to fight.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:25 pm »
Totally agree John, my earlier statement was worded improperly, its not a lack of quality, its a lack of depth i guess, or completeness.

In KF games there were reasons to visit the starting area at the end of the game, for items, story and areas you couldnt reach before, so far at least, it doesnt seem like the STs were designed with that necessity.

I dont dislike the games, they just give me a different feeling altogether.
Site Founder