Author Topic: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?  (Read 75769 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 09:53:52 pm »
Thats a great story. I'm more interested in your own personal experience. I watched a film called 127 hours, it was about a man in Utah, i thought it looked pretty incredible. Ive never seen a desert before in real life.

Pure sand dunes like the ones outside Yuma are quite rare in the USA. Most deserts here are covered with thin, but evenly spread vegetation like cactus's or other drought tolerant shrubs. There's an interesting story about the early road they built across those dunes (where sarlacc was filmed) here. The mountains of sand shift so quickly in the wind, that anything heavier than the sand would soon sink to the bottom so they made a long, chained wood plank road that floated on top of the sand.  My grandparent actually drove across that 'Plank Road' on their honeymoon.

Another interesting thing about the deserts here that seems counterintuitive: they actually have floods semi regularly. Rain comes in brief torrential downpours which makes a wall of sandy water called a 'flash flood' that goes cutting through the desert. Most deserts I've been to are filled with dry 'washes' from old flash flood channels and it wasn't uncommon to hear of a house or two getting swamped in a flash flood. These days, they've mostly built canals to catch flash floods and direct them away from populated areas.

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 01:26:52 am »
The 'blocks' of text are arranged chronologically as you would encounter the text ingame so it should not be hard to correlate them to your ODS which is also arranged chronologically. There is some game text that I didn't see in your ODS, like the writing on the wall behind the player when the game starts.

Why don't you send me your latest ODS, and I'll copy its translations into the corresponding "block.txt" and send them to you. That should highlight any missing Japanese.  I can also add notes to your ODS telling the maximum size an area of text can be.

Yeah, I started to ignore the wall-writings and such when I was playing...  sorry about that.  I've sent an updated spreadsheet via email.  I haven't done the bulk of the items (which you have translations for), because I was focusing on the other stuff first.  Little by little as I get time...  :smile:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 06:51:11 am »
I had a good read of that website you sent over John, sorry to have you crossing from one nostalgic trip post to a more technical translation post in one thread. Its good that part of the road wasnt destroyed, so people could see the hard work of past efforts. That kind of work would have been a mammoth task in the intense heat.

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 01:13:32 am »
Just an update:

We're still a ways from being 'finished', but there is good progress being made.  I am slow, and John is a legend for picking up the slack.   :bowl:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2011, 09:19:33 am »
I really must have too much time on my hands to make this...

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2011, 12:23:40 pm »
HAAAHAHAHA

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 11:02:59 pm »
LOL, yeah, that's so true . . . you do have too much time on your hands  :biggrin: Reminds me of a post I made once .

I must say I'm quite happy with how the project is going. Mord has done a huge amount of the translating already and the technical aspects seem to be going smoothly. We might actually pull this off in the near future!

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 07:57:42 am »
A bit of creativity for humour doesnt go amiss. I like that 'japy' skeleton. Keep off black marker pens, some people are more succeptible to blackouts than others!!!

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 02:32:20 am »
I almost have the first passable draft of ALL the translations...  I just need a couple more hours sometime in the next few days...   :movingeyes:

What was the maximum space allowed in Block 2, Wolf?  I calculated 36,827.   (If that's true, we're very comfortably below the limit for that block)  I just need to finish up xlating some of the dialog blocks and check over the item descriptions again.  I'll hopefully get that to you by Thursday.  -ish. 

Oh, I've just been using pipes for the line breaks.  Is that OK, or would you prefer some other marker?  Also, I've been counting the blank spaces between items (denoting a new entry) as one space, since my hex editor counts them as one space.  In other words, I am just using len(cell)+1 to calculate the sizes of each name/description/dialogue in the sheet.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 06:11:27 pm »
That's excellent to hear!
The Items block (#2) can be 34822 max. Pipes will work fine as long as you don't use a pipe in the actual text. I can use 'replace' to convert to the format the text tool expects. It reads a standard 'line break' as 'new-line', and two line breaks in a row as a 'new entry'. 

Not to complicate things even more, but Fromsoft often leaves a lot of unused data scraps in their games and several of the STA text blocks are longer than I indicated, but the extra text is not referenced in the pointer table and doesn't seem to appear ingame. It's likely that the extra text is just scraps that were edited out in the final version. I'll do some checking to make sure the extra doesn't appear ingame and see if we might be able to use the extra space for the translation without introducing bugs.