Author Topic: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?  (Read 76200 times)

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
Re: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 06:49:22 pm »
Yeah, my thinking on this one was that I'd go for the roughly literal translation as I went through, then do a colloquial translation when I have everything to give it some context.  We'll see how that goes... :dazed:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 07:36:06 am »
Look forward to it!

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 12:43:11 pm »
Same here, Im interested, though I have never been able to finish Shadow Tower due to eventual lack of interest.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »
Out of curiosity, lack of interest due to the language thing, or due to the game itself?

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 05:51:43 pm »
ST: Abyss is a game I really want to play, but since I can't read Japanese, it's not something I'll be able to do until a translation becomes available. :)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 07:11:02 pm »
Bummer! I looked through my PC for the rest of the text files I had translated for STA and the whole project folder seems to be gone. All I have is an early backup I made but it's missing about half the work I did.

I had extracted all the Japanese and done translations for opening movies, region names, enemy name/descriptions, and all the wall signs/dialogue from game-start till after the first meeting with Ariel. All I have now is the translated system menus and items.  I had some serious PC problems around when I stopped the project, must have gotten deleted/lost in the shuffle somehow.

Mord, are you considering doing a full translation?

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 12:35:23 am »
More or less...  I thought it would be a fun project, and there are a couple people I can think of who would really like it when they can understand what's going on.   :biggrin:

I don't know how long it would take to do it reasonably well (and add all the stuff back into the game, etc.), but I'd like to keep going.  Wolf, would you be interested in teaming up on this?  If you have the means to put subtitles in for the opening movie and whatnot, we could do it in a lot less time than either one working alone...  Then all these poor guys could finally have a crack at it.   :wink:

I sent you a PM with the little that I have done so far...  Let me know what you think. 

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 06:39:25 pm »
I have been spending most my free time working on a SoM game, but it seems worthwhile to put that aside for a bit and finish STA. I was impressed with your item translations so teaming up sounds like a good idea.

You can write me directly at weissvulfATyahoo.com

The first thing I think I should do is make pointer table tool for STA- memory pointer tables tell the game where a line of text begins. So you can reallocate the available text space by editing the table. A tool will save tons of time versus doing it manually.

As far as subtitles, I did have a procedure setup for adding subs, but I hadn't fully tested it yet. I'll blow the cobwebs off those notes too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:47:25 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:10 pm »
I wouldnt mind doing some voice overs. Well, you have my offer. I'm well known for my imitation skills amongst friends.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 11:46:42 pm »
To clarify, I was referring to the original shadow tower, ive restarted it probably half a dozen times but only make it about 50%-60% through before i stop playing.  I cant explain why, though I think a soundtrack really would have helped me...From's obsession with not adding music to their games from ST onward really bums me out considering the games that DO have music have some of my favorite tracks ever.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder