Author Topic: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?  (Read 76114 times)

Offline NoSoup4you

• Long Sword Swinger
Re: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2011, 10:14:25 am »
What strikes me about Shadow Tower over King's Field is the sheer density of items... I'm picking up something new like every 20 seconds.... It's kind of ridiculous.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2011, 12:07:59 pm »
Thats a bit too diverse for me... I like to pick up new items but look after things ive found earlier and intend to use later, like in KF and Dark / Demons souls. I suppose having too many items is wasteful, why bother spending time making and creating useable designs for them to be stashed away or sold?

Offline NoSoup4you

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2011, 12:46:21 pm »
At least, I definitely feel like there's value in trying to 100% the game because of it. There is a lot of stuff, and I do find myself using a surprising amount of it since the items durability degrades so quickly. I'm getting towards the end of the first game (I think?) and I've still only got 25% on some worlds, lol. Gotta love how you can completely skip entire sections of the game too.

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2011, 12:48:06 pm »
Just like NoSoup said, I found that it was a very useful thing to have so many items my first time through - because of item durability, I was going through them at a pretty good rate.  It's not that the items are super weak - I just hack at a lot of stuff.  Plus, I'm one of those players who always goes for the melee approach even when it's obvious that I should be using a ranged weapon... just for the fun of it. 

It's crazy how well they managed to hide some of this stuff - Even after combing slowly through the first area on my second playthrough, shooting at walls and being super snoopy, I still only managed to complete the area at something like 80%...

In case anyone cares, I managed to find a site with area maps, similar to what was done at kings-field.com.  It's in Japanese, but will undoubtedly provide some help.  Not all the areas are mapped out, but most are.  Go to the second section, entitled マップ攻略.  (This would have been SOOOOO useful my first playthrough, before we started the translation project...)
http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~abyss/

I did find the official guidebook, too...
http://books.google.com/books/about/SHADOW_TOWER_ABYSS_%E5%85%AC%E5%BC%8F%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC.html?id=EgEoNwAACAAJ

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:56 pm »
Very cool, once I figure out a way to make this look a little nicer on my pc I will be playing through, but for now the emulation is just too 'gray' and its beyond difficult to see.

I played on my brother's modded ps2 and it looked so much better.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2011, 12:49:14 am »
Got my emulation settings looking spot on tonight (go go directx 10 settings!)

Got through the first few areas, now in the poison area.  Liking it alot more now.  Its amazing to me how similar this is to the first ST.

Again a thanks to the translators :)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline NoSoup4you

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2011, 05:55:56 am »
Alrighty, I beat the first game tonight. I thought it was good, but I wasn't into the atmosphere so much as trying to break the game with my enormous stats. KFIV is still FROM's best game imo... Gonna start Abyss tomorrow maybe.

Offline Farlight

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2012, 04:18:28 pm »
 :biggrin:  You just made my day!!!!   I just decided on a whim to check  to see if there had been any updates...and found the translation had been released!  Awesome...

Many, many, thanks!!!    :beerchug:  I bought an import copy awhile back but could not get into it with the online walkthrough.

I can confirm the patch works this way.... :smile:

Burned the .iso with Nero 8.  Then patched and reburned at 1x speed.
Playing it with a PS2 slim top/mod and Swapmagic 3.

On the 2nd or 3rd map so far and it works beautifully.  Excellent translation.   You've outdone yourselves!

Again my thanks for making this playable/understandable to the English speaking world.

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2012, 12:05:51 am »
Wow, it's wonderful to know that our work is so well appreciated!  I hope you enjoy the rest of the game!

Offline knighTeen87

• Bow Bearer
    • My Own King's Field Fan Site!
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2012, 07:37:47 am »
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/STA/abyss.zip

This should be a fully functional patched iso.  The zip is ~330 mb and will unpack to 1.45 gig.

Let me know if you have any problems getting it to work.

hey man, do you mind if a share your this iso link on Snesorama? Cuz except from us, no one knows the patch yet