Author Topic: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?  (Read 76138 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 07:49:51 pm »
John, I loved that post!  I still use that image as my avatar!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 08:55:02 pm »
Not to complicate things even more, but Fromsoft often leaves a lot of unused data scraps in their games and several of the STA text blocks are longer than I indicated, but the extra text is not referenced in the pointer table and doesn't seem to appear ingame. It's likely that the extra text is just scraps that were edited out in the final version. I'll do some checking to make sure the extra doesn't appear ingame and see if we might be able to use the extra space for the translation without introducing bugs.
I did the research and the simple version is, there's good evidence that some text blocks can be longer than the lengths I quoted earlier. Below is the list. The "+" values are added to the max lengths I quoted earlier.

Block5    +56
Block6    +11
Block9    +34
Block14  +1098
Block15  +17
Block17  +376
Block18  +157
Block19  +136
Block21  +23
Block24  +663
Block27  +237
Block29  +9
Block30  +40
Block32  +105
Block34  +34
Block35  +23
Block36  +46
Block37  +3

It's also likely, that block#37 (which is nearly identical to #38) isn't used in the game. I'll work on the movies now.

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 09:56:31 pm »
Great!  Thanks for that - I'm sure the extra space will come in handy. 

I completely blanked on the weapon/armor names issue - and I'm noticing that some of them will be very difficult to get under 18 characters (like Radiant Barrel Helm, for example).  What would you like to do?  There are heaps of 'em.  I can abbreviate things and take out words like 'sword' where it's obvious, but...

I got all the descriptions checked and formatted with line breaks in reasonably intuitive places.  Now I just need to finish up translating a bunch of the wall writings.

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 10:05:06 pm »
Well, I didn't mean to make it sound worse than it is...  There is one at 22 characters long (could be shortened to 19 easily), a few at 21, and a bunch at 20 & 19.  I just had an idea. This may prove to be more work than it's worth, but I thought I'd throw it out there:

If we can change the stat images for 'soul', 'particle', etc., do you think we would be able to change the menu selection background (the green bar) to be longer - 22 characters wide instead of the current 18?   

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 07:41:38 pm »
Since it's a variable width font, space largely depends on which letters are used in the words. I inserted the widest item names and it looks like only 4 go out of the box- and those only a little (see picture). It might work to lengthen the background box depending on how it's stored/loaded. I'll look into that when I do the other graphics.

I think I've got a setup working that can bake subtitles into the video (haven't tested yet to be sure), but there might be an issue with the resulting file size. Subtitles will require re-encoding the video which could add ~100mb to the size of a patch. STA videos are compressed so I don't think there is a way around this but I'll keep looking.

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 08:28:51 pm »
In my humble opinion, it's not the end of the world if the words go off the edge just a little like in your image.  After all, it's a fan translation and not an official release.  I didn't think the effect would be so minimal. 

In other news: I finished the translations!!!
(I still need feedback on a couple strange entries, but it's essentially there!)

Offline NoSoup4you

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:44 pm »
Hey guys, keep up the good work. My mind is blown that the translation is finally going ahead - I was just about to start playing it in japanese!

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 11:07:53 am »
Incredible. Look forward to it!

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:08 pm »
Yes please :)

I just finished my second play through of DS yesterday, Im in need of new gaming materials hehe
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline NoSoup4you

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 05:22:11 am »
I also just finished Dark Souls for the second time. Loved it... Was hoping to play this before they release the 1.05 patch lol. At this rate they'll probably finish the translation before then...