Author Topic: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?  (Read 75781 times)

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
Re: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 02:35:05 am »
Great, I'm glad to be part of the project!  I spent a little time yesterday touching up some things, and I have a first-pass common translation for everything except the items/weapons/armor.  Granted, the items/weapons/armor is the biggest part of the task, but it's progress.  And I agree - putting things back in by hand would take quite a while...  A tool for that would definitely be a blessing. 

@Todd: I remember hearing that the first ST wasn't nearly as good as the second.  Hopefully that's true?  I really enjoyed STA at any rate - especially the ambiance of the first few levels.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 07:49:22 am »
I dislike the first, though i will say that demons/dark souls has elements of it, so i wont shun it entirely  :wink:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 05:06:54 pm »
I liked the gameplay from ST, but I missed the music and involving plot that KF had. I think STA has a better plot than ST, but it's still easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. The eclectic nature of STA's items feels a little strange, but it makes sense when you understand the the Shadow Tower has been 'trapping' people from many places for many ages and won't let them die. 

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 07:56:54 am »
but it makes sense when you understand the the Shadow Tower has been 'trapping' people from many places for many ages and won't let them die. 

So its like the sarlacc but as a tower?  :eek:

Have to say when i was a kid this thing / idea really freaked me out.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 06:12:36 pm »
My family lived in Yuma Arizona when they filmed that scene from Return of the Jedi in the sand dunes nearby. I wanted to try to go see the filming, but my mother wouldn't let me  :razz:

The Shadow Tower isn't alive or anything like sarlacc - basically, there was an ancient powerful kingdom whose king held a mighty weapon. In truth, the king's power came from the 'Darkness' and he held secret rituals for the Darkness- presumably tossing people into an otherworldly dimension of some sort where they wander lost and tormented forever. His weapon (the one with the eye) gives him power to control the Darkness. When his kingdom is finally defeated and falls apart, he retreats to his Tower built in the 'Darkness' but eventually, the Darkness turns on him because he isn't sacrificing victims anymore.  As the latest victim sacrificed to the Darkness, the player is sent to defeat the king and take his weapon . .  then the zaniness ensues!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:15:55 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »
Mord, I'm mostly done with the text insertion/extraction tool. There are a few irregularities- meaning there might be some lines of text that the tool doesn't currently access, but it's a good place to start.
Looks like there are around 40 'blocks' of text. Attached is Block39 as extracted by the tool. I can send you other blocks when you're ready.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:21:18 am by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 07:52:58 pm »
Thats a great story. I'm more interested in your own personal experience. I watched a film called 127 hours, it was about a man in Utah, i thought it looked pretty incredible. Ive never seen a desert before in real life.

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:22 pm »
Whoooooa, that looks great!  I got a little distracted this weekend - I had a birthday (spent too much money at REI) and a halloween party (spent too many drinks on myself)...   But I'll be spending some more time translating tonight.  I don't know if you were aware of it, but there are a couple lines of dialogue that appear more than once in the file - I only found that out by accidentally hitting 'find next' a second time on a couple blocks....  I don't remember which ones they are now, but they shouldn't be too hard to track down if need be. 

How would you like to proceed?  I have my dialogue translations on the second sheet of the ods file I sent (and I have updated versions in the one I'm working on now), but they're formatted in lines as they appear on the screen in-game instead of by block in the stz file.  That was simply because I was translating as I went along in the game. 

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 06:59:48 pm »
Yeah, Verdite - deserts are interesting.  I've been to a few, and they're all quite different.  I'm currently living in New Mexico for grad school, and it's definitely desert, but not what people would normally think of (it's not just sand dunes, etc).  Still, you have to base any serious treks on water access points, which is something that I had never even considered before, growing up in Wisconsin.  I can't say I've had the pleasure of seeing 127 hours yet, but I saw a documentary about it shortly after it happened - they actually brought the real guy back to the spot where it happened... Hectic!

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »
How would you like to proceed?  I have my dialogue translations on the second sheet of the ods file I sent (and I have updated versions in the one I'm working on now), but they're formatted in lines as they appear on the screen in-game instead of by block in the stz file.  That was simply because I was translating as I went along in the game.
The tool's main purposes are to auto calculate the pointer tables and also to calculate how long the text can be. But for translating, just use whatever arrangement works best for you.   

The 'blocks' of text are arranged chronologically as you would encounter the text ingame so it should not be hard to correlate them to your ODS which is also arranged chronologically. There is some game text that I didn't see in your ODS, like the writing on the wall behind the player when the game starts.

Why don't you send me your latest ODS, and I'll copy its translations into the corresponding "block.txt" and send them to you. That should highlight any missing Japanese.  I can also add notes to your ODS telling the maximum size an area of text can be.