Author Topic: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?  (Read 76034 times)

Offline BurningDoom

• Long Sword Swinger
Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?
« on: November 18, 2009, 06:29:03 pm »
Is there an English Version of this game out there? I'm not smart enough to mod my PS2.

-Nate-

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Shadow Tower Abyss - Is there an English Version?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:58:15 pm »
There is not an official english version, but John is working on a translation project for it.

This would likely require the ability to emulate the PS2 though, so hopefully your PC hardware is pretty good!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »
Aha, just the thread topic I was looking for! 

I am also very interested in this project, as I want to finally try out this game that everybody is talking about - I am happy to help with some of the translation if it will assist the project... 

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:54:57 pm »
I think there are much better topics on this issue. There is some talk that John translated it, but he's taken a vow of silence, and Tom acts like he has a copy, but if so he seems to just be sitting on it.

You would not have to emulate the game to play a hacked version. Just burn it to a disc and use a modded PS2, or one of the swap tricks, or use a PS2 with a harddrive (software modded) to upload the game to the harddrive (which bypasses the disc verification process)

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:04:51 pm »
Well, I finally managed to get a soft copy of the game, and since I just couldn't wait, I am running full steam ahead with it in Japanese.  I hacked the item descriptions, etc. out of the .stz file and made some tentative translations of things in a spreadsheet.  I may eventually try to put the English back into the game, but for now it's just in the ods file.  I haven't translated everything, but I copied most of the Japanese text in, so at least it's searchable.  The translations I have so far are purely literal - I haven't tried to make them too natural sounding or anything.  I will be the first to admit that my written Japanese is quite terrible - I focused almost exclusively on conversational Japanese when I was living there. 

At any rate, I thought I'd offer to send the file to anyone who has a Japanese copy of the game and is just dying to play it like I was. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:46:39 am by Mord of Swoonlight »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 05:02:41 pm »
I was working on translating this, but got distracted. I'd love to see what translations you came up with. If any of my translation notes would help you enjoy the game, I'd be happy to post them.

What is a Rombarm and why is it exuding darkness!!? :movingeyes:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:30:05 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:08:57 pm »
Mayhaps it ate too much pork and  beans?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:04 am »
Thank you, Wolf!  That would definitely help immensely.  Again, I don't have translations for everything yet, but I feel I've made some good interpretive progress with a lot of the items of Indic & Caucus origin.  I can upload mine at home tonight - would it be better to post here, or via PM until we get a presentable version? 

What is a Rombarm and why is it exuding darkness!!? :movingeyes:

My thoughts exactly.   :box:

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 11:50:22 am »
By the way...  now that I finally finished the game last night :blow:, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with some things I never figured out. 
Maybe this should be in a new thread, but where in the f do you use the bug body parts and the pocket watch? 

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 04:55:54 pm »
I think the bug parts unlock doors. I don't think I ever figured out what the watch did.

I'll send you the list I had via PM. I wasn't trying for 100% literal translation -more to capture the content/intent then present it in a way that sounds pleasing to Western ears.  :smile: