Author Topic: NEW UTILITY FINISHED (Pumpkin Paster Map Edit tool)  (Read 13361 times)

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Re: NEW UTILITY FINISHED
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 04:54:44 pm »
WAIT!  I just got the PM, let me try this again...

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 06:35:13 pm »
Hah, am I right that your PumpkinPaster tool needs the Map Editor window to be titled SOM_MAP? (note to self, change that back before releasing new translation patch )  :biggrin:

I had a thought inspired by your utility; it seems that the Map Editor can edit and save maps with Pieces numbered up to 20,000+ but SoM can't 'output' Pieces numbered over 1023. An app that performed a set of procedures similar to those used in your tool could let people have access to more than 1024 Pieces in the Editor by processing the MAP file before it is 'Output'.

Example:
User builds map with 300 different Pieces with ID numbers between #1-2000 (aka more than the 1023 currently allowed by SOM).

When activated, app. scans MAP file and copies any PRT files used in it to a new folder named 'Working Folder'.

App. then renames the copied PRT files to lower numbers in sequence (below 1023) and changes the Piece numbers in the MAP file to match (after making a backup of the MAP file).

App. then renames SoM's 'parts' folder to 'parts.orig' and renames 'Working Folder' to 'parts' and auto pushes SoM's 'Output' button.

Lastly, after Output, app. changes folder names back and restores the backup (original) MAP file.

The user should end up with a functioning 'output' MPX file and their original MAP file.

Another option would be an app that let the user 'scan' the Pieces they want to use on the current map, and then auto-renames those Piece's PRT files to low #s (below 1023). That would let the user choose up to 1024 Pieces they would be using on the current map from a library of thousands of Pieces. The app could save a 'conversion table' for each MAP file that notes all the changed PRT numbers (ie 9536.PRT>0000.PRT, 0126.PRT>0001.PRT etc), thus saving a record of the PRTs that need to be renamed to view the map.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 06:44:29 pm »
I've had this for a while, but I still don't understand it, nor can get it to work.   :face85:

Trust me Tom, if you have any plans to make more SoM maps, it's well worth figuring it out! Make sure you have the latest version since kilroy has added a lot of improvements.

Incidentally, don't use PumpkinPaster with that last SoM_MAP.exe I sent you. I changed the 'SOM_MAP' window's title to 'Map Editor' which made PumpkinPaster mad at me; it refuses to speak to me till I change it back. Maybe I made it mad at you too :tongue:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:46:45 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline kilroyfx

• To Game is Human!!
  • VIP
  • Mace Masher
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 08:05:52 pm »
Sorry It is name specific, kinda lame.....It looks for "SOM_MAP", I guess I could widen the range or let the user identify the actual program somehow, and then the program would look for that ID.  Seriously if you have problems getting the program to run you can IM me....and I can walk you through it. Really it is worth figuring it out....Once you get it - its definitely an instant gratification utility !!
Cheers

KilroyFx

Offline kilroyfx

• To Game is Human!!
  • VIP
  • Mace Masher
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 01:30:30 pm »
Okay well at least there has been 11 downloads, yeah !!  Not like I spent more than a week on that utility.....
If anyone has any ideas to improve it, or just make it cooler let me know !!

Thanks for all the feedback and support :)  I can write programs pretty fast, so
if you have any ideas.....I have written an experimental tracing algorithm that works
inside SOM_MAP too, but I don't know what to use it for....I just outlines things for now.

Cheers

KilroyFx

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 01:51:43 pm »
I got some time with this program, and I do have to say its a must for those starting out new.

I am probably going to try to get a page for this setup in the main site tutorial if you don't mind...(eventually, I am a bit backed up for time).

I still like benice2.0 the best though!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 07:17:11 pm »
I still like benice2.0 . . .

What's Benice 2.0?

I can write programs pretty fast, so
if you have any ideas.....I have written an experimental tracing algorithm that works
inside SOM_MAP too, but I don't know what to use it for....I just outlines things for now.

If you're looking for some simple but helpful ideas for new SoM programs, here's a few:

A PRF file editor. Object and Item PRF files have all kinds of nifty 'switches' in them that can't be accessed without a hex editor and knowledge
(like enable 'Lamp' status, enable ZX rotation etc). A simple program that let you flip various 'switches' in the PRF could be neat for
customization. I already know several of the 'byte codes' and I'd be happy help map the PRF format completely.

A SND file converter. The SND files (used for sound effects) that come with SoM seem to be in a special format. All that's
needed to convert a regular SND to SoM format is a header swap and to enter the sound's 'play time' value. A simple program
that did that would let people easily make their own sound effects.

A PRT file renumberer. A program that renumbered the PRT files used on a particular map should let people use more than 1024 Pieces in the Map Editor. It sounds more complicated that I think it would be. I have a few Japanese map Piece sets that I never bothered to translate because SoM has pretty close to the maximum number of Pieces already. A simple PRT file number shuffling utility could blow the 1024 limitation out of the water and make it easier to build a map by grouping all the 'tiles' the builder is using together.

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 07:44:33 pm »
BeNice 2.0 was a program Kilroy made so he could filter Mick's posts.  ^_^

It was pretty hilarious sometimes, replacing certain "phrases" with proper phrases"

Like changing "I command you to" into "I think it would be nice if you would".   :cop:

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline kilroyfx

• To Game is Human!!
  • VIP
  • Mace Masher
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 01:15:35 pm »
Here is BeNice2.0 it has some added features, like creating your own converted phrases, and special HOTKEYS so
you can simply highlight text in any document then hit a HOTKEY to convert it....also you can hit a HOTKEY to
quickly add many new words/phrases to your library, then change them later.....you'll see :)
Cheers

KilroyFx

Offline kilroyfx

• To Game is Human!!
  • VIP
  • Mace Masher
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 01:21:31 pm »
Seriously, this program works...on a psychological level. If you take one of Holy's old posts and highlight it, then press F1 it will be sent
into the 'Benice' Program....then click the HEART button and crank up the LOVE !!!!     (It will add randomly pleasant sentences)
It's hilarious, his posts become very nice to read......

Also before you hit F1 you can select KEY words and phrases.....and hit the F2 button, this will add them to your library and you can
quickly add a new definition for those "ugly" choice words....:)  And make them say/read something much nicer.

I use it on Emails, Stock Reports, Internet Pages, Forums etc.....Strange how a few nice comments change the whole meaning.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:28:22 pm by kilroyfx »
Cheers

KilroyFx