Author Topic: King's Field on the PSP and more  (Read 18133 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
King's Field on the PSP and more
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:29:44 am »
Since I can't post this on the official forums, I will post it here.

I got a working version of the original King's Field 1 (japanese) converted to english and formatted to play on a modified PSP system.

I figured while I am at it, I will just post all the roms in my collection, which include the 2 US King's Field games as well.  I will try to get them all up to date by the end of next week, so for now some links may not work.

Enjoy, and of course I have to say this...if you don't own the game please delete the file off your memory card within 48 hours or some crap like that   :rolleyes:
www.swordofmoonlight.com/PSPGames
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:35:30 pm by dmpdesign »
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Ascension

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 05:17:09 pm »
About a decade too late. Still, an impressive undertaking. I have been looking for the first King's Field for a long time..

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:01:43 pm »
Credit to john osborne for the english, all I did was apply it to a working japanese eboot.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Re: King's Field on the PSP and more
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 03:54:09 pm »
According to E3, there should be quite a few more PSOne classics - like 40-50 new games by the end of the year.  (I guess with the PSPGo around the corner, that has no UMD, and 16Gb flash memory.)

Hopefully, at least one King's Field game will make it to the Playstation Network Store so I could have it on my un-modded PSP of coolness.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:40:59 pm »
All of Fromsoftware's PS1 games have been on the Japanese PSN for as long as I've had a PS3. Today PC-Engine was added to the jPSN!! Pretty neat. Picked up Devil Crush. If any of the classics start showing up I'll have to start looking to import a new PSN yen card.

From might be the only major studio I can think of with all of it's games on the PSN. I guess the other majors are all holding their cards tight to their chests for glorified re-releases or something?? Or maybe slowly releasing their stuff for more publicity.

Speaking of which, I noticed From' has been releasing a PSP port of Armored Core 3 lately. Not sure how that would work though with the PSP control scheme.

Edited: I don't think the PC-Engine is a get for Sony. I'm pretty sure I saw a collection of PC-Engine games on the Wii Virtual Console once. I think Devil Crush is on both PSN and the Wii VC, so that might indicate the individual games don't have to be exclusives to one distribution channel or the other.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:43:02 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline MaskedGamer

• Beginner
  • Bow Bearer
  • An adventure like all before.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 08:06:41 pm »
From what I read in a magazine, AC3 is once again like AC: Formula Front.  1 vs. 1.  It looks nice though and some preview shots looked like a regular Armored Core so I had some hope for it but if it's been 1v1'd, I'll have to think hard about wether I want it or not.

KF3 is on my PSP.  I even changed the controls to be more FPS like.  That makes the menu hard to work but it's easier to control.  I just wish the two Additional games could have been more like 3 (since the PSP can definetly do it).
Building, getting bored, building again, getting bored again, repeat.
[Current Project: Daeyln (working title)]

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:19:35 pm »
From what I've read/seen on the PSN AC3(PSP) seems to be just the same game as the PS2 made palatable for the PSP. But to be honest I've no idea what it really is, other than it must use the same parts lineup. If it is something new, then that might be even more interesting than just an AC3 port. But FF is the only game I've yet to play/finish of the series (other than I've still not finished AC4 and moved on to Answers, etc -- there could be new ones I'm unaware of)

I'm assuming it's not a simulation a la FF if that is what you mean?

Offline MaskedGamer

• Beginner
  • Bow Bearer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:41:13 am »
I hadn't heard that.  I'll have to go through my magazines again.  I meant not as a simulation, but on the 1 vs. 1 in an arena.  Maybe it was a mock box at the store, I don't remember.  I never finished playing the first AC on PS2 (I've gotten all the PS1 ones beat though) so I have no idea where the story has gone since everyone went to Mars.  Nor do I have a PS3 so a decent AC on PSP is something I'd like.

Looking on Youtube just now, I did find this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsk7BuoHMlE) which looks a lot like AC2 footage but if it's actual footage and not just cut-and-paste video then there's something decent coming at the end of the month, not another FF.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 11:57:47 am »
There is no story in AC. Every game is different setting/cast :rolleyes:

Edited: It looks like a faithful port from what I can see. It would be interesting if the PS2 versions were/are completely compatible. I played the games to death. The idea of playing them again (hate portables anyway) would never cross my mind. Though loading up old saves into multiplayer might be fun. PSP can do long distance internet type play right?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:05:48 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline MaskedGamer

• Beginner
  • Bow Bearer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 09:52:06 pm »
I know the cast is different (there's not much of a cast beyond 9-Ball anyways) but does that mean the "universe" is different?  The expansions all happen in the same universe but it's been a long time since I played any AC so I don't remember.  The PSP can connect to a wireless router and game over the internet but it depends on the game.  The PSP AC3, according to the Youtube video, can only do adhoc so you can only play with someone in the room with you.

You can fool the PSP in to playing over the internet but you need a PS3 or some difficult to configure PC software.