Author Topic: Could one of you guys help me out with a menu guide?  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Could one of you guys help me out with a menu guide?
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:08:43 pm »
I know this sounds silly, but I need something, and it's something anyone of you could do one way or another. So I could really use the load off my back.

I don't care if you do it in ASCII art somehow or html or annotated screenshots or svg graphs or what.

But what I need, is a map of the menu system. And to a lesser extent all the other UI stuff like events and the game startup screen.

Something like...

+----------+
|Menu
+----------+

+-------
|Items->
+-------
|Equip->

And what else...

I need this so I can make a configuration system to help people edit the menu with a new tool I'm working on.

So like if you wanted to change the name of some menu element, you could do something like:

menu.equip.*.holy.name = dark

Just a lame example. You should also be able to move things around. I might even support an alternative xml type system in the end. We just need names for things basically. Ultimately anything will be possible. For example knocking off entire menu and replacing it with al new one. Or adding extra information / taking away useless kind. In fact that is what I intend to be doing with the Joypad menu (I will map what I gotta to get to the joypad and whatever I need personally but I'll be counting on one of you to help map the rest!!)

So anyway, even though it seems like a terribly meta task. After the system is in place, the guide will be an invaluable resource for helping people use the configuration file.

I have my menu names all rearranged for my project, so I don't even have Tom's translations readily available to me. For this, the shorter the mapping names the better. The map of what the menu looks like is also very helpful, because that's how we can tell what menu we're in for certain.

PS: Even if you don't want to change the menu radically. One of the coolest things this will open us, is the option to make really personalized menus for your game. Like being able to put art behind the menus that really works. You'll even be able to move the menus around to compliment whatever art you have.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:34:50 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline nomenekpos

• Dagger Carrier
Re: Could one of you guys help me out with a menu guide?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:23:03 am »
Hello.

Sorry about my low-level english (not a native speaker).

I know how really old this topic thread is, but it is also the only one I found talking very specifically about changing menus content. I do not know if I need to open a new topic.

Anyway, if anyone reads this and points out an useful thread it would be very much appreciated.

I just want to know how to change and/or eliminate names and contents inside menus of a SoM project. For example, planning a game with a present day (or even a futuristic / cyberpunk) setting, it would be very nice to have the chance to erase concepts like Magic or Stab, Slash, etc.

Where can I find how to do that?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:56:00 pm »
Here (http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/ex/diy/) is up-to-date SOM including a translation/theme editor. The old way (don't do this) is to find the text in the EXE file and change it.

BTW: I'm aware of a bug in the editor that I have to find time to sit down and fix. It makes it so if you translate the built-in (Japanese) text, it doesn't work correctly if you want to restore it back to the original text. It's something very high up on my to-do list. There is an English translation built into it, that is used if the text is not translated. That's why you might want to undo.

EDITED: You can translate while the game is running. So you can see the change without stopping/restarting the game. There are some tricks, like < on the left and > on the right scoot the text over to make more room.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:58:22 pm by Holy_Diver »

Offline nomenekpos

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:33:44 am »
Nice!

Thank you very much.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 06:02:39 am »
I neglected to mention the translation system uses F5 to update the text without saving the file. It doesn't update as you type. I fixed that bug yesterday. It will be in a new release slated for sometime in the next week or so.

The main problem is the Delete button isn't enabled when it should be. I'm sure it worked at some point in development. There is also a bug with saving the text at the top of the tree. That's not in games, it's just note section. (Problem is the "Messages" sections is saved for the "Displays" section, and that also causes the size of their text to be incorrect. It will corrupt the script file.)