Author Topic: KF1 and KF2 models coming soon.  (Read 3091 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
KF1 and KF2 models coming soon.
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:18:04 am »
Since several people have asked for these to be put in their SOM games, I will go ahead and mark myself down for the project.

I will Get a .zip file for KF1 US and KF2 US with all the models and their texture coordinates for items and a few useful objects.

Once I have that, I will search out volunteers, myself included, to retexture these as closely as possible to the original but perhaps update it a bit so it looks more usable with SOM's graphics style.

Give me a few weeks to get this done as it will be a side project, for now just put placeholders in your games where you want KF1 or 2 armor going into.

I will not bother with KFJ  because SOM already has all the armor etc for that game, not to mention the models in that game are so basic there is no way they would look good in SOM.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: KF1 and KF2 models coming soon.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:59:17 pm »
I think there are a number of "KFJ" items already in your installer archive. I'd love to see them all. I don't think we should just toss these items into your installer setup. I actually think it would be best to totally replace all of SOM's resources so we can make a game with the graphical style of KF1/2/3 (edited: as in eventually replacing SOM's map pieces/npcs/monsters etc with KF1/KF2/KF3 style model/textures)

I will help you get the real textures for all the items, if for no more than posterity sake. If any budding artists want to take a crack of remodeling the items, it will be easier to do faithfully with the fully textured original. If you're going to make these look good in the classic SOM style, you're going to have to raise the polygon count as well. I recommend just picking and choosing classic items that aren't already part of SOM (like I'm doing the "Galth Fee" set) for makeover. And even letting everyone vote on what to do next if the artists don't mind. Or at least we should all know what's up so two artists aren't working on the same model at the same time.

Still I think this is better for making SOM games with a different presentation/style... or letting the player choose what style they want. But of course it would be awesome to remake everything in the SOM style as well. That just seems like a taller order as it requires putting together all new assets on the scale of a production studio.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:01:08 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:35:56 pm »
I plan on making them downloadable extras by game.  Since SOM came with from's new version of KFJ, I dont really see a need for the older models, but if someone persists, I can get those too.

As far as map pieces go, this is where I personally find SOM's largest limitation, and I will respectfully bow out of any future efforts to rework either KF1 (US) or KF2(US) map parts into SOM.

The cliff set and snow set were a massive pain in the butt, and they are buggy to boot.  But really, the main reason I have no desire at all to do this with SOM boils down to SOM's failure to render lighting properly, or placement of objects etc correctly on multi-tiered floors.  SOM can't and never will be able to duplicate the types of maps that were present in KF1 especially and to a lesser extent, KF2.  KF1 (US) did a marvelous job of setting up stacked map levels, a feat that made the whole inside of the island feel as deep as it was broad.  DD will implement SOM's best efforts at duplicating some of the areas of the original game, but its still a far cry from what I would consider clean. 
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:31:17 am »
I took this away from a skeleton (skull Master) and retextured it into "Forest Staff" :)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:32:38 am »
Nice- looks close to some of the swords you made earlier.