Author Topic: New SoM Demo SeaGuard  (Read 27144 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: New SoM Demo SeaGuard
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 01:31:28 pm »
I will hopefully have DD 'perfected' soon, I will update my tables for you guys to peek at when I am done.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline lavaelf1024

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2009, 12:49:05 pm »
I think I'm close with the enemy stats but don't feel 100% comfortable I have it down.   It's weird as the leveling up and enemy stats are nothing like I've seen before and using any logic just makes you scream. 

It's wierd becuase I'll attack 4 of the same creatures and it'll take 5 for 1 and 10 for the next then 6 and so on.  The problem is I can kill one without getting destroyed then the next one will kill mebefore I kill him unless I use 2 healing potions (+10HP).  It's probally ok but need to go through and make a few SMALL tweaks and I think I'll have it.  Then I'll level up the character to different levels and see what happens with each weapon/armor at each level....

And I though this would be fun!! :doh:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 01:52:22 pm »
Been on this step in my game for 3 months and counting.....it is definitely a pain in the ass.

I feel for you! :snail:
Site Founder

Offline lavaelf1024

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 03:25:50 pm »
The person/people who designed that aspect of the game were either extremely smart or had NO clue what they were doing.  There seems to be almost mo rhyme or reason to that control of the game.  I amazed a level 1 BASIC creature in my game needs to have 130HP and a dagger has to do like 30 total physical damage so when I get to be lvl 4 it's not a 2 hit kill instead of 5-6.

Extremely odd!

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 07:50:18 pm »
I really didn't put THAT much thought into Diadem of Maunstraut's "charts".  I thought they turned out pretty good.  Sure things are a little sudden death for the first few levels, but its pretty consistent from then on.  I was pleased with it myself, and I've been told by people that I did that well on that part of the game.

I did put thought into it though.  I took into consideration armor + defense vs attack = damage.  (Probably why things are a little rough until some armor is found on DoM.)

I did a few workarounds though.  I didn't mess around with weights at all, and started with low single-digit numbers in about everything.  I didn't really complicate it too much either.  Chances are, if an enemy's strength was 5, his slash was 5, stab 5, crush 5....  and went from there.  (the latter enemies have all 60's and such.)  Defense was the same way.

Even a lot of the character's armor stats were the same way.  One set of armor would have all 5's, the next set all 7's.  I really didn't complicate it.

I mixed things up a little bit as far as weapon stats, but I was just barely putting more into it than eyeballing it, slightly more than the previous weapon.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline lavaelf1024

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2009, 01:23:22 pm »
With that being sid, I might have to rethink what I'm doing then.  That was how I had started and then scrapped it when I had gotten some info from Todd (not that it was bad info).  I guess I need to but some time in and try it out both ways.  Based on what Tom said I was afraid if I did it that way just 2-3 level ups by the player might make it too easy.  Maybe I can find a happy medium and not have KILLER stats for the starting stuff just slightly beefed up compared to what I have them now.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2009, 02:16:35 pm »
Before you scrap what you got so far, make sure you play DOM and see if its leveling/gear/monster ratio suits you.
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2009, 02:17:03 pm »
The reason the numbers game is the way it is, is because A) if it was linear it might be very hard to make a really epic game B) the way it is is actually probably safer for casual game makers C) it had to be some way, however it really should have given people more control over the damage formulas. At the minimum it should have had options to make the numbers just like other KF games, the same way the level tables have some choices.

For my current project I've fixed all the variables possible including giving the player and monsters all 100hp. I only use stats from 0 to 9, but I had to multiply them by 10 after John figured out how strength/magic converted into atk/def stat bonuses so that the players' stats would not increase the damage too much either way. I think the rule of thumb is start the player with decent stats, and do all you can to make sure they can't obtain godlike power. And just to be sure, put some monsters toward the end of the game that would be a challenge even if the player's stats were maxed out. I usually just test maximum stats, except in the starting areas, there I also test minimum stats. I suppose on the other hand you need to decide if you want your game to be a challenging action game, or an interactive movie (which is how KF tends to be)

The biggest limitation in SOM games tends to be the really limited combat system. If you want a challenge you need to be more clever than one on combat.

PS/Offtopic: I'm on forum vacation for a little while. PM me if you have specific questions for me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:19:39 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline lavaelf1024

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 01:16:51 pm »
OT:My game builld is going to be on hold this week with my brother in the hospital.  Also going away for Thanksgiving so November s going to be a wash. 

Was making headway on the stats then had some family stuff come up.  Hopefully when I pick this back up I can jump right back in.  I had played with the stats, both having them high (which I felt was unrealistic stats) then what I would have considered reasonable.  Looks like it's going to be more towards the hight side but playing with enemy defense I've been able to keep the hitpoint down.  The same shoudl work for the enemy damage stats as well!

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2009, 08:04:17 pm »
hope your family gets better quick.

we all anticipate your game, but after waiting for for 5+ years on from to make another KF game, I think we can wait a while for yours without giving you a hard time :)
Site Founder