Author Topic: New SoM Demo SeaGuard  (Read 27149 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: New SoM Demo SeaGuard
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 01:27:20 am »
Just wanted to make a quick note...seeing as you are using a network situation to run SOM, be careful if you are hosting the files on one machine and editing on another.  I ran into an issue where I had SOM map editor open on one machine, and again on another, made a change in one, saved the other as well and it blew up my event table beyond repair...luckily I had a backup.

Just please make backups if youre doing the whole network thing :) 
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline kilroyfx

• To Game is Human!!
  • VIP
  • Mace Masher
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 01:15:29 pm »
Nicely done AsusX2, checking your game out !! Nice to seem others interested in KF, I was working on a small game that happened before the KF1 game. Funny that your continuing
the series.  Check out my trailer on YouTube. Look for "Before Melanat" If you need any suggestions or help simply ask.  I have a lot of models, audio, and building tools. Also I have extended experience wrangling that SOM into creating some neat effects.

I had to add, to this.  Just played your game, looks great !!  It really has a nice atmosphere to it.

Is this the "KF5" and what does SeaGuard mean? PS: Guys, I'd be careful about tacking numbers onto KF, that's sort of Fromsoftwares' exclusive right l I would think. It's ok I think if you use an already established number and a subtitle. Like even DD could be called KF2 DD or whatever because it seems inline with the KF2 world or whatever. Though it's just KF in the US anyway I suppose, so I reckon Todd's already thought of this.

Gawd, call the game whatever you want.  Don't even begin talking about legal issues - something you know nothing about.  Play the game and enjoy it !!!!  SeaGuard means what it means, maybe its in the game maybe you should use your imagination.  SOM is not about money or legal issues.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:30:13 pm by kilroyfx »
Cheers

KilroyFx

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 09:19:39 pm »
Gawd, call the game whatever you want.? Don't even begin talking about legal issues - something you know nothing about.? Play the game and enjoy it !!!!? SeaGuard means what it means, maybe its in the game maybe you should use your imagination.? SOM is not about money or legal issues.

Todd asked me to function in mod capacity. And there's only one way I know how to do that. Leave the fighting words at the door. If you got a problem with something someone said then respectfully disagree on the point. If you got a problem with someone then that's your problem, please don't make it everyone else's. Inciting trouble can get your posts reprimanded/split and or bad "Karma" should it be decided to keep tabs on that (this is very fair versus the usual completely arbitrary perma-ban you could expect from virtually anywhere else)

We will work out a compact before the membership numbers in here get too be too out of hand. As long as I'm involved in administration, verbal incitement, bullying, and stalking, will not be tolerated. This is how I run forums. Otherwise, anything goes. Don't call people trolls, flamers, or anything implying infraction of any unspoken policies. At worst you'll get yourself carded on the grounds of incitement. These are simple rules designed to unambiguously protect everyone's basic dignity and freedom of expression and participation. And most of all the openness of these forums. Bottom line is no one is going to have their way with anyone in here, so don't even try it. To avoid "incitement" you should be careful when speaking directly towards individuals. Mob behavior will not be tolerated. Consider leaping to someone's defense instead.

Finally, on a practical note, SOM is very much about legal matters. Trademark infringement is serious business. If you want your game to be universally respected, don't call it KF5 6 7 or anything like that. Just use common sense. Especially in the states you're already skirting tight territory if KF is in your title.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 09:37:59 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline kilroyfx

• To Game is Human!!
  • VIP
  • Mace Masher
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 01:38:45 am »
If your using SOM your game will not get sold, will not make money, you would have to make absolutely sure you did not use any intellectual property from any other source.  Go call a legal attorney if you can afford one.  Have you ever sold a game, or anything else for that matter, are you an attorney...??  Have you ever gained commercial rights for logos, audio or likeness of another product??? No one wants to think about those things, and they shouldn't have to...You need commercial rights to use any model, audio, texture, phrase or likeness of KingsField to start selling it, no one has those commercial rights.

This is about making a Kings Field game that is all about fun. Hate to burst your bubble. Just don't be a wet blanket all the time....having a KF game universally respected is an oxymoron.  Look at games today,  the gaming community will not bow down and respect a remake of a remake.  I think the whole point of using SOM is to have another KF game, another episode, another level - so people can enjoy more of something that was once great and cutting edge.  If you strip the name, any reference, the models and audio you won't have a KF game.....and then you might as well start programming in a 'REAL' language.....making a game these days involves a lot more than one interface.

And, I was leaping to someone's defense.  You have a way of bumming people out, and I don't want to see another person leave the forum. You cannot demand respect from people because you think you have power...so your saying I cannot express my opinion or else you will take some sort of 'action' ??  Who's the real bully.
Cheers

KilroyFx

Offline AsusX2

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 03:21:36 pm »
Just for future ref. Seaguard is the name of the town in the demo and my use of kings field 5 will NOT be in the game! It was just to express the ideology and format of the game design. OK, so as far as SoM, I only run som on one mach. seeing as I only need one SoM running at a time. The other Lopro is strictly for Meta so that i can model a part while i look at the debug map. This helpes me design the part to fit seemlessly, Textures, edges, and so on. I do back up my maps constantly. I've learned my lesson about not saving as I have lost my Seaguard once already and do not wish to create it for a third time. Vista x64 really does not like SoM! DMPDesign, have you found any other problems with using a network for this project? I would like to not run into any further problems. So far, everything is working great so any help in this area would be great. remember I'm used to hardware and have not really been programming since Basic. I found Css, Html and Xtml to be fairly easy and i'm a very quick study. I'm now trying to learn Visual basic and C. seems alot like what I used to do, just with more commands, for ex. 255 colors is now over 1,000,000, Hahahaha. I'm finding all of this really fun and wont be giving up anytime soon. It does seem, however, Holy Diver either does not like me, Which is fine by the way, or I have offended him, which was never intended on my part, (Sorry H.D. if i have done this) as i can be a bit arrogent, but I am VERY good at what I do and will not be pandered to, belittled,((I.E. The problem is not som or the computer!) So i take your comment as it must be me!), or swept under a carpet! If you guy's would like me to leave this forum, all you need to do is ask and I'm gone. My goal here is to talk to others interested in SoM and maby help some if i can. Anyway, Seems like a great time to move on to other conversations as this ons should be over. hope you all have a great day. talk to you soon.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 04:28:25 pm »
Whoa buddy, no one wants you to leave.

Keep building your game, we all want to see it:)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 05:56:42 pm »
It does seem, however, Holy Diver either does not like me, Which is fine by the way, or I have offended him, which was never intended on my part, (Sorry H.D. if i have done this) as i can be a bit arrogant, but I am VERY good at what I do and will not be pandered to, belittled,((I.E. The problem is not som or the computer!) So i take your comment as it must be me!), or swept under a carpet! If you guy's would like me to leave this forum, all you need to do is ask and I'm gone. My goal here is to talk to others interested in SoM and maby help some if i can. Anyway, Seems like a great time to move on to other conversations as this ons should be over. hope you all have a great day. talk to you soon.

I like everyone, and we don't want anyone to leave. I'm not sure where you got the idea I don't like you. Probably some people don't like me right now, so you might have confused one of my posts directed towards mitigating one of these people with posts intended for you.

Anyone who reads too much into my posts might be offended. However that is not my purpose here nor is it ever my intention.

I think we're going to prevent some of this outwardly antagonistic behavior from spiraling out of control from now on. We hoped a hands on approach would not be necessary so soon, however thanks to all the extra traffic as late it's probably not a bad idea. Let's just hope we can all do a good job of things amidst all of our other responsibilities.

If you're ever offended by something someone has said outright to you, there is a link below each post where you can anonymously or otherwise report it to the moderators, which should send an email to the all mods registered email address.

PS: Thanks for more info about SeaGuard. Are you planning an epic full length sort of addition to KF? Or more like a sidequest adventure?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 06:16:15 pm »
If your using SOM your game will not get sold, will not make money, you would have to make absolutely sure you did not use any intellectual property from any other source.? Go call a legal attorney if you can afford one.? Have you ever sold a game, or anything else for that matter, are you an attorney...??? Have you ever gained commercial rights for logos, audio or likeness of another product??? No one wants to think about those things, and they shouldn't have to...You need commercial rights to use any model, audio, texture, phrase or likeness of KingsField to start selling it, no one has those commercial rights.

If your product is noncommercial you still require licensing rights because you are A) using someone else's trademark in a non fair-use way, and B) you're taking part of that publishers market share. Why would people buy KF games, when there are free alternatives, as an example. That is the logic and precedent anyway, whether it suits you or not.

People who use, enjoy, and develop free software/art, and generally skirt the edge of what is or isn't commercially acceptable

And, I was leaping to someone's defense. You have a way of bumming people out, and I don't want to see another person leave the forum. You cannot demand respect from people because you think you have power...so your saying I cannot express my opinion or else you will take some sort of 'action' ??? Who's the real bully.

Bullying is not up to interpretation. If you're intentions are to defend someone however necessary or not, being offensive to others does not amount to defense, whether you perceive said others to be actually offensive or not. No one here is required to not bum you or anyone out.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:27:45 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 06:25:14 pm »
These are not fighting words, if your referring to my post. But here is an example..... I really think you should not give out legal advice. And, if you do give out legal advice I think you should be held personally responsible for whatever happens to those who decide to follow it!! Have you ever been sued, gone to court?? Ever lose a lot of money?? I know you are dead wrong about half the things you say. You are not an attorney, so don't pretend to be one please. You do not even know how the SOM developers tool works, I don't think you have made a game, or even a level. I am sure you have not used every command in the event setup...and you do not understand the full potential of SOM.? Your insights into programming are lackluster at best, your examples of using counters and creating interesting logic are so basic that I have to ignore them.? I have not seen one model, piece of artwork or musical score from you.? Don't dull people's blade with your lame ideas, or confuse people with your distracting selfish thoughts.....Don't tell people what to post, don't call people fags and say you meant "bunch of sticks", don't use the n***** word, don't tell people not to play KF trivia, don't piss off people who know a thousand times more than you, and have decades more experience....? and don't threaten me with kudos, or banning.

I think your a phoney, and your a hypocrite.. . "Don't call people trolls, flamers, or anything implying infraction of any unspoken policies" you have already done all these things yourself.? Why don't we audit all your posts to see what I mean??

There, now those are fighting words. Feel free to run this through BeNice2.0.....

Whatever you think, hopefully we can all agree that you are basically vandalizing this thread.

We all do the best we can here whether we're certified anything or not. You're not helping anyone by posting antagonistically this way. If you feel anyone is "a phoney" you can PM them if you must.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:26:53 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline AsusX2

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 07:19:10 pm »
I plan this as an epic as an addon would not allow me the creative lattitude i so look for, Actually i find it quite restraining. B.t.w. When i was making my tables for the enemy stats I made a flat simple map and placed one of every enemy in static positions. my Player's hp is set to 999, otherwise he was left unaltered lv 0 str 20 mag 20 and so on. by letting enemies hit me from afar and close i got very accurate data on the attack responce and defensive nature of the settings on each enemy. I knew you had asked if anyone had done this. I found that doing this was the only way to get an accurate balance between the player and enemies. Playing diadom I was unhappy with the balance as almost all enemies killed me in one shot. It was really boring however was greatly worth it in the long run. I'd rather make maps but this was nessasary.