Author Topic: Project status!  (Read 25992 times)

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
Re: Project status!
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2010, 02:24:54 pm »
Thanks Ben...... I feel that the future of SoM as a tool is looking brighter all the time...... I also agree that You have to preserve alot of the aspects that make SoM what it is....... Thanks for pointing out that we are currently the only ones working on a title..... So maybe a few other of the geust that visit us see this , maybe it might inspire them to be creative.......... Sorry I have not been very active latly , fourth of July weekend in new england is a big deal, :)  Ben Keep up the good work too.......... I can't wait for your title especially , for you will be THE FIRST Brittish SoM author........ there alot of Brit games that slip though the cracks, and many of them are fantastic...... Shame the UK does not have very many gaming studios......... some of the most creative minds in HISTORY were brittish...... Wink WInK:)......Happy fourth everyone, and ben have a great day my friend:)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2010, 12:02:24 am »
Its great that players will be able to use both Joe's pieces and the original SoM pieces, and in time possibly my own, though i dont think that the way forward for the community is holding onto old map pieces that are in a way crying out to be redeveloped and ... In some cases replaced entirely.

I'm actually really surprised anyone would not want to use the original assets. They are really great. I'd be floored if someone amongst us was able to reproduce that quality in terms of brand new assets, much less a catalogue broad enough to comprise an entire game. There are 100~200 monsters let alone everything else. I think you two are just odd blips on the radar. Personally I'd prefer that you spend all your custom work time doing stuff like expanding the outdoor set and adding pieces to the existing square dungeon shapes to make the dungeons more variable. I think you'd get a lot more bang for your buck doing that. And you'd be contributing more to everyone and history. Tom's games are fine the way they are. DD is great even though some of Todd's custom pieces do stand out.

When I add all of Shadow Tower's stuff to Som that will double the builtin asset pool. I just think you're going down the wrong path trying to compete with that. The only thing wrong with some of the models is the texture mapping could be corrected so those seams don't show up. The texture work in general is really sophisticated and I think you'd have a hard time one upping it without a significant budget. I worry your reskins won't be as good. Like Todd once said, reproducing the Som style textures is fairly challenging, especially from scratch... too challenging even. If the artistic direction was to go one way or another I'd prefer it regress to something that looks more like KF2 or KF1 even, because I think more people are better able to contribute work in those simpler terms. And frankly Som is unique visually, somewhere between ST and KF4, but I actually prefer to look at KF2.

Anyway we're going to be looking at nearly 300 monsters and more objects/items/map pieces than you can shake a stick at. So yeah I'd definitely prefer you add to the pot than try to do your own thing too much. I don't actually think of Som as a tool for doing your own thing. I don't think it was ever conceived that way.

EDITED: I realize we don't actually have tools available to correct the texture mapping. I certainly know enough about the files to develop something, but now is probably not the best time for that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:09:22 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2010, 06:42:10 am »
I'm sure ST map data would fit in nicely, though i havent played ST.

In response to SoM's quality and assets, i'm fine with creating data that may not fit the style of SoM or compete with it. I've mentioned before that my game is not going to be competitive in terms of other games, i'm simply making a game, putting some good ideas and items into it, and letting people enjoy it.

The whole reason for me making my game is for others to enjoy. I'm not trying to impress anyone or push anyone to raise the bar in creating games. So far inspiration for creating games in the forum is lacking and actually sometimes saddening. If we are to encourage people to make games we need to let go of being competitive and being "up to standard."

Theres no fun in trying to conform and bring home something thats been done before. I'm not saying your point is invalid, what i'm saying is imagine working on map pieces that will look and feel exactly like something that has already been created. (save for a few new textures and possibly minor assets.)

I've spent hours on my maps, and if id tried to create something that looks like something already made, i'd have (honestly, hands down) given up a long, long time ago.

If anyones reading this who wants to work and create new map data to fit into SoM, i personally would encourage you to let go and make something you want. Nobodys expecting anything from a fresh idea, bring home your ideas and let people enjoy them.

If someone nags about it being out of their style, (or way of thinking) so effing what.
Most games were created from fresh ideas in the first place.
The best games in my opinion are games that bring new ideas, new innovations, and new inspiration.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2010, 02:40:03 am »
It's just a really odd approach. Som was clearly not meant to be a general purpose game engine. If you do "30 new items" they're not really new unless they integrate with the existing items. Because basically an author more than likely has to decide which set they'd prefer to use for their game. I really like a lot of the items in Som visually. I couldn't imagine not using them unless the alternative was somehow better. I'm shocked anyone would come to Som trying to do all their visuals from scratch. That seems like so much work it blows my mind... it's a feat that even makes Dark Destiny look pale. Sophisticated one man games are pretty much unheard of. Of course if you're going to pull off the impossible it helps to have no idea what you're up against.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2010, 08:43:21 am »
I am pretty certain you are in the minority on this one Holy.  Most people like the uniqueness of the custom parts and the additional graphics that Joe/Ben and several others have made.  And Ben is totally right, can we get some words of encouragement once in a while instead of continual dogging on what others are trying to do?

I for one can't wait to see either of their games because I know full well they will blow mine away, and I am thankful for that.  If there was anything that I couldnt stand the most about SOM was that I didn't have the time/skill to go full custom with the engine.  I think if you only use whats given in the toolset then you might as well not bother because as soon as someone begins to play they will just think its another DOM clone and turn it off.

We all have our opinions, and its ok to share them, but honestly Holy, I think at this point youre shoving yours down everyone's throat.  You have probably posted a dozen times about how you don't like the direction of Joe/Ben's game graphics, and its quite obvious they are set in their ways, so if you don't have any positive things to post please quit posting.

FYI, some people would actually like to finish their game some time this century, so waiting for your miracle of porting in the ST enemies etc may just be out of the question.

To Ben, keep on making your customs, the REST of us think it looks great so far.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2010, 09:21:33 am »
I've endeavoured to finalise and beast the SoM's item section since i started work on SoM. Alot of the ideas and work ive put in strained me at times, but i didnt and wont give up.

Theres a truckload of hours and effort spend in making a game like this, especially in a one man team. I know its a different approach to SoM, but i spent hours making maps from SoM's assets and genuinely felt unhappy with the outcome.

The art direction on the items seem to hold singular to alot of From's games. Which is great! But i was sick of looking at the same stuff. I'm really not making a KF game, i can admit, i'm making something fresh which is similar to KF in many ways.

Offline AsusX2

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2010, 04:07:01 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, Yes I'm still going, Its been tough going for me right now but I will get back to speed soon (I Think???) as long as I get a break, in life I mean and my girlfriend gets off her Kemo. :frown: I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.