Author Topic: Project status!  (Read 25989 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Project status!
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 02:56:06 pm »
I have almost finished a utility that works inside the Map editor.  It is a more advanced copy/paste program that surfs on top of SOM_MAP.exe. It allows you to copy regions of your maps and save them as "Brushes" which then can used to create maps faster and better.  You can save up to 100.

The strong points of the utility are, you can now rotate parts of your map, paste them on top or below existing drawn map areas or "tiled" areas.  Also you are no longer limited to a rectangular region, you now can copy/paste any shape region because the program allows you to ignore UNUSED tiles.  So you can paste in either Solid or Clear mode. The interface is "live" so you see what you are copying/pasting/rotating at all times. You can slide your copied region around the map with ease, instantly see it rotate, and slide it over or under other map sections.  You can use arrow-keys for fine movement or the mouse-pointer for instant movements.

One of the strongest features of this utility is the ability to copy/paste and delete Objects, Items, NPC's and Enemys.  They too can also be rotated with the copied tile region.  These 'things' are saved with your Brush and will not cause Event errors (since they don't copy events with them) You can quickly duplicate and perfectly align those tediously designed rooms, halls, cathedrals, castles, hovels, lakes etc !! With all the items, objects and NPC's included both inside and out. Once you save the map (through pumkinPaster's interface) it makes sure that all events are protected, and conflicts will not occur. The map is saved as work.map with matching work.evt and work.mpx files (simply rename them to use them in your game)

The interface is a little rough right now, but I think it's very powerful. Took about 4 days to write. :)  Also this utility relies HEAVILY on map slot #63 so if you have a 63.map you have to rename it before running or you will lose it.

I need a few people to Beta-Test it, I am completely open to revisions....and changes to make it more friendly and useful.  You need to play with it for at least 30 minutes and dont use it on a project that is not BACKED UP. 

P.S. Enemy Entry Data is also recorded and stored in the "Brush" in case you were wondering.

This sounds like something you should post about / split off into another thread. If it's as good as it sounds I can't wait to see how it works... from a traditional design perspective I can't even imagine :redface:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 07:54:31 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 07:58:08 pm »
HolyDiver - Project "DOM09" - Postponed while working on SOM mods.

I had forgot what this thread was about. I can probably edit your post if I wanted to (as you probably could mine) but anyway, the project name is "Maunstraut '09", and it's not postponed to work on mods... it depends on these mods, so it's one in the same.

Offline darchangel

• Mace Masher
  • Guardian of the Light
    • http://www.kings-field.com
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 10:35:18 am »
Damn, this utility would have saved me SO much time...I've redone some maps, 3 times...

Now all we need is something that would let us copy and paste events.
He who was born with the light, will die with the light...rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 02:17:46 am »
Well Fallen By The Way my title is comming along with speed. I have re wrote most of my story to fit my needs and am busy, busy with map building:) Also am learning how to customise my NPC and enemies, even put some eyes on some of the enemies, mostly red but adds to thier effect:) am getting fustrurated with map pieces though, I asked todd to help but I know he is a busy guy:) I can't make my sand pieces to save my life, I have tried switching textures of other pieces with differnt names, but to no avail my map pieces are still still milky white:( is sad indeed. Anyway where can I post screen shots with my progress:)...... and lastly I am trying to work out a friend deal with my old childhood friends "Bella morte" to allow me to use some of thier awesome instamental tracks in my game:) and I am working slowly I may add on some kick &*% CGI for my intro:) but with poser it is S L O W... more to come and any sand pieces out there I would love to know:) thanks Madison.............................

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 05:11:10 am »
I am really sorry for not getting back to you promptly on that.

Below is a zip file of the textures you will need to convert your snow and cliff set to a sandy set.  The snow set wasnt originally intended for the sand, so you may see some weirdness on the textures (the snow set blends the ground to the wall better)

Unfortunately, the errors in the map parts themselves also become more apparent with this coloring.

I will try to update it later, but for now give it a shot.

Simply go to your SOM\Map\Texture directory and overwrite the files there with these...

- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 11:31:22 am »
Hey Thanks Todd:) I will try these out and see how they function:) I want to keep the snow as well so now I have working textures I should be able to fabricate both snow and sand:) I really appreciate all of your help and the other fellows who have made this project even more fun than it already is:)  I have another question though:) I have recontructed all kinds of NPC'S to add more to the game, They all look great, using poser instead of Metesq. Some look (TOO) good for som, All my textures work fine and they all test perfectly in the NPC editor, but appear as if I never Changed them in the actual test. Am I missing something, I saved the proofs as new numbers, and saved the textures in the textures folder, and like I said they work in the editor but not the game, do I need to put the textures in another place too for them to work in actual play:)  By the way this is for the whole forum:) anyone who wants some of my neato textures for NPC's I made with poser just ask they are pretty:) some even have two sides for the face, as to add left and right perception and I am working on skeletons with eyepatches too, I have a pirate map I am toying with and thought pirate skully guys would be cool:)   :biggrin: thanks always Todd for your advice and guidance:)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 03:57:05 pm »
I will give you a full on reply soon, but my first question is, you were able to open the .mdl files into some program to work with the textures on the actual NPCs?

If so...what is poser...and can it read all the animated files from SOM?
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 04:19:58 pm »
OK, got more time for a better answer.

Let me first ask a question...when you say the textures arent showing up are you speaking about in game or on the map editor?  If its the map editor, it may be because the .mdl file has the original texture imbedded in it, and no matter what you do when you change it, the map editor will always show the original texture.

If youre in the game runtime and its still not showing up...then we have to look into it a bit.

First off...the texture you made, you said it was highly detailed compared to SOM...so is it still 256 x 256 pixels or less?  If not that would definitely be a problem.  On NPC models, you would be limited to a 256 x 256 texture (or multiple textures no larger than 256 x 256).

When you created the custom NPC, how was it done?

I may be repeating exactly what you did...but here are the correct steps.

Take your 256 x 256 texture(s) and load them from a bitmap file to a .txr file using the BMP2TXR program in the SOM tools.  once it is in the .txr format, place the texture in the SOM/NPC/Texture directory.

Now open the NPCEDIT.EXE progarm, find the specific NPC you want to change and open it..click change texture at the top and select the new texture.  Save this as a new .prf file....for example newguy.prf

Now with a hex editor like xvi32, open the newguy.prf and change something in the name (without disturbing the # of characters) so you can tell which it is in the parameter editor (remember your new texture wont show up in the parameter editor or the map editor).

For example, if the npc's name was girl (1) you might change it to girl (a) so that way you can identify it compared to the original.

once that is done and saved, make sure you register your new npc or re-register an old one with the new model and test it out.

let me know if any of this helps.
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 05:57:52 pm »
What Todd says about textures is completely correct but I think you can change the NPC model's name in NpcEdit.exe without using a hex editor. See picture below.

That would e pretty neat if Poser recognized SoM's model format!

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 12:55:05 pm »
That is exactly what I did to change my NPC's. (1) I used my Poser software( Awesome 3-d modling software NOT FREE BELIEVE ME) and created an origanal texture. used the tex 2 bmp conversion software (Thanks John) to get the 256x256 tex of the NPC I wanted to alter (2) open my new tex in regular old "Paint" used the custom cut of my new tex, then opened the old NPC tex with "Paint"  the pasted my new tex in the general location of the old pttern did a save with a new tex name. (3) then used the NPC editor to apply the new tex over the old NPC model, , NOW thank you todd I did NOT use a hex editor to change the name and that may be where I am going wrong:) so thank you:) when I get home from work I will try to name them with a hex editor and see if that makes a difference:) 'cause naming them through the editor does not work:) you see the new model in the editor but not the actual game:( very sad indeed. I have not been this excited since prom night:)  thanks  everyone.  notice the little blue haired girl now has brown hair with a satin red dress still have trouble with the eyes though