Author Topic: Site will be down for a little bit sometime during the next few days...  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Re: Site will be down for a little bit sometime during the next few days...
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 04:32:18 pm »
....so I deleted a bunch of my crap that was taking up space.  (about a half gig of stuff)

I don't need the demo MP3s anymore because I've got a label.  (and they're streaming on the MySpace page)
Eric (the guy that runs EEE Recordings) got all the files he needs for the Hguols album.  (big WAVs and PSD files)

YAY! DELETING THINGS I DON'T NEED!  ^_^

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:43:14 pm »
*hands you a cookie*
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 04:59:35 pm »
As far as backups?? Well I dont know how to backup the forum anymore, so I havent done that since it moved to its new home? :redface:

Well I keep a backup of the forum files for my own purposes, though not so much the attachments folder (which also holds avatars)

You've stated before you regularly backup the database, which is pretty much only used for this forum (and the old one) afaik. So if that is what you're doing, then you are already backing up the forum.

It's hard to keep backups of everything if your webhost provider doesn't employ RAID technology, which is basically not practical for 1500GB accounts. You sort of just have to know what directories are important and which ones aren't and pick your battles. Fastest way to backup files is to use the control panels "archive gateway" to compress/archive a directory, then download the compressed archive for safe keeping.

I have a WordPress extension which also has an option to email you backups of the database, which I have done weekly. It seems to work. Gmail has a 20MB sending limit but seems to accept files of any size (so far as I can tell)

The control panels "Scheduled Jobs" runs cron jobs, however I think they're not allowed to run for more than like a minute. I can run a number of commands from a special wordpress page I programmed which allows me to use a number of commands on the server like a command line by using php's exec() function. It basically lets me have SSH-like access to the server, though I'm limited to the commands php code has a tendancy to require. But anyway, of course one of those commands is tar, and when I run tar it doesn't seem to have any restrictions on it's running time. So theoretically it should be possible to program some routine to regularly archive directories and email them.

If you really have a lot of files it might be possible to use a remote subversion server to back them up/mirror them somehow. Basically the idea there is to only back stuff up once as things change. Of course if you really fill up 1500GB ever you're gonna need 1500GB at least of backup storage. Needless to say that ain't going to come too cheap.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:03:05 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 10:57:48 pm »
*eats the cookie from Todd*

*hands HolyDiver a mouse pad*

COOKIE!?  >_<

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 01:31:46 am »
I've copied the following folders into anon.swordofmoonlight.com

darchangel
hguols

You guys should link to http://anon.swordofmoonlight.com/hguols (for example) from now on. And if you need to add stuff make sure you're using the folder under anon. If you know where all the links on the internet are to these folders and can change them, then it would be best to delete the old folder.

After a while (very soon) you won't be able to access the old folder any longer.

If anyone needs regular access to a game specific folder we can make an ftp account for it/you. Otherwise we'd prefer you upload stuff to the anon folder and request it be moved into the game folder.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 01:36:49 am »
PS: Some of these folders (like "PSPgames") probably just need to be moved into anon as soon as someone can confirm for me they won't break any links on the www.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 02:29:42 am »
go ahead and move psp games, i can fix the few links for those if need be.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 03:09:08 am »
All of the miscellaneous files in the root directory are crazy. We really should try to convert the frontpage into a CMS asap (ie. WordPress/the way I roll) ...considering all of the new interest around here. Adding html files this way is in no way sustainable. And a nightmare to backup/manage. When we convert everything to Wordpress you can backup all the content on the site in one database file, and you can easily edit any page from the website, instead of using ftp. The only actual files needed are theme files and source code. You can also edit the theme files online, though they are stored as files, not in the database (which means you need to back them up every so often independent of the db)

Edited: Also the front page crashes my Firefox browser as is :doh:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 08:16:19 pm »
FYI: Everyone is in in anon.swordofmoonlight.com now (I think this is the right thread)