Author Topic: Site will be down for a little bit sometime during the next few days...  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Like the subject says^ ...just so no one is miffed/worried when it happens.

It will probably just be for a half a day max starting sometime after midnight one night :smokin:

PS: Also for those with ftp access, things might be changing a little.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Re: Site will be down for a little bit sometime during the next few days...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:48:21 pm »
I moved all of the FTP users who had access to the root directory to the location of the new swordofmoonlight.com directory. There is nothing yet in that directory however.

We do need to sort out whether or not the users actually need access to the website or not.

I personally don't think they should, but I don't want to disrupt whatever everyone is up to.

Unless someone objects I've prepared a subdomain at anon.swordofmoonlight.com which I think it would be a good idea to copy all non website files into for now. This should include any files which are intended to be downloaded via ftp and not html.

The process of making subdomains and ftp accounts is really simple. However the webhost might enforce a limit on how many of either of these we are allowed. But in the future it probably would not be a prob to give any important user their own secured subdomain/ftp account.

PS: Technically I think if everyone is in the same home directory they might as well login with the same exact account.

Edited: also I guess right now there is no need really to make subdomains as long as everyone basically has their own folder they upload stuff to via ftp. If not let me know.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:55:28 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:20:10 pm »
Sounds ok to me.  I've always used an FTP program when accessing the server, in regards to files.

I'm definitely a culprit when it comes to miscellaneous files to the server.  However, I'd like to have the option to delete some things I won't be using anymore in the near future.  (You know, to clean up after myself.)

anon.swordofmoonlight.com sounds like a great idea!

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 04:47:05 pm »
Well the ipower ftp settings are pretty gay.  You can either have access to all folders or a directory (with all its subs)

Currently we have a whopping 4 FTP users...Tom, Martin, Holy and myself.  I may have given john access too...but thats it.

I wont give anyone access that I dont trust, and if I do give them access I will make a specific directory for their use and they can't browse anywhere else.

We should be able to manage it just fine.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 06:46:39 pm »
I will setup the anon folder and give everyone time to move anything there they don't think people need permanent access to (via some link you posted on the internet)

I think it's important to draw lines. Even if you trust everyone involved, it's very easy to do things by accident, and say wipe out a portion of a website or something.

Edited: I also have to warn you from experience Todd. I've trusted a lot of people with internet privileges over the years and many of them turned out to be unethical people and did serious damage.... not just to me but many people. You just can't tell who is or isn't going to end up being a liability. You placed your trust in me very quickly (granted with little to lose as you say) but as long as I'm involved we're going to turn this operation into something worthwhile (and fairly technically complicated) ...basically people can seem very trustworthy until they feel they've been slighted in any way... then you get to learn where their ethics really are.

I recommend copying personal folders into anon somehow as well. I think the idea of using subdirectories might make more sense in the long run than subdomains, but the one anon subdomain won't hurt for general filesharing.

I think anon is a good idea for miscellaneous personal files. We can start there.

So like I have my own sudbdirectory at swordofmoonlight.com/holy/ which I will leave there for links, but will copy into anon.swordofmoonlight.com/holy/ for future use. And btw, I can copy whole filetrees to a new location (all done on the server) very easily, so just ask me to.

PS: I kinda got backlogged this weekend (didn't see the holiday coming) and had to work with other websites. Since this move is important but really just for sake of security it got put off, but I will get to it for sure over the next few days.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:53:06 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 07:09:52 pm »
Ethics aside, lets not forget about potential accidents either....

*walks towards the domain space while carrying 10 banana cream pies.*

I have this gut wrenching vision of someone overwriting something they shouldn't on a completely honest accident erasing hours of work.  Do you guys do regular hard drive backups?  Me myself, I'm always very careful not to mess with anything that I didn't put on there. 

*sets down the pies next to the server*

...and I always make sure I'm wide awake and conscious of what I'm doing on there.  No accidents yet from me!

*pies start to tip*
*quickly straightens the pies!*
*gets CoolWhip on hands*
*starts to sneeze*
*runs*

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 01:11:02 am »
In all seriousness, I've deleted lot's of stuff before... usually a it's a combination of the Unix mentality of "don't ask me if I'm sure I want to do what I just told you to do" combined with like forgetting my portables mousepad is always enabled (and there is nothing you can do about it) while coming out of hibernation, which requires using a special oem function key to disable. So I'm like using Filezilla and my palm causes my mouse to do something weird and I don't realize I just deleted or moved something where it doesn't go until too late. It's not as much as you don't have backups (though very often you don't) as much as it being a pain in the ass to fix stuff. Things can get even uglier working with a command prompt in an impromptu fashion. Over time shit does indeed happen.

I have accidents. It's just a matter of damage control. Specifically like, you hope, the person who has the accident knows how to clean up after themselves / what happened. And if their working outside their administration domain that is not always the case. This is just a matter of good practice. The main reason of course swordofmoonlight.com the website is being moved is not so much as this site is not harmed, but the digitaldevildb.com and wiki.digitaldevildb.com files are not harmed. They are a lot more complicated than swordofmoonlight.com at this point.

Of course swordofmoonlight.com should never have been hosted out of public_html in the first place :smokin: *pokes todd*

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 02:02:11 am »
Ok, what's done is done (I think)

So, whenever everyone besides Todd logs into FTP now you should be in the swordofmoonlight.com folder.

I've temporarily moved the anon.swordofmoonlight.com folder inside the swordofmoonlight.com folder so everyone can migrate their stuff into it. After some time I will move the anon folder outside of the swordofmoonlight.com folder. And from then on you will login to the anon.swordofmoonlight.com folder which won't have access to the swordofmoonlight.com website folder.

So use this time (next few weeks of so) to organize your stuff (as will I) before that happens. Afterwords we can still move/copy stuff on request. And in general if you need stuff copied, I can take care of that for you (save you from downloading/uploading anything)

Moving is just handled by renaming by FTP. So it's a trivial (non-transfer) operation.

I will set the anon.swordofmoonlight.com domain up now so you can go ahead and start using it/linking to it.

PS: I left "FlashProject" in the public_html folder as it seemed unrelated. If you need html access to that folder, you can use http://dmpdesign.ipower.com/FlashProject/. If you'd rather it be under swordofmoonlight.com (for linking purposes or whatev) let me know (we will need to change the home directory for the ftp account that logs into it)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:19:28 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 02:14:23 am »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 09:08:50 am »
"Of course swordofmoonlight.com should never have been hosted out of public_html in the first place  *pokes todd*"

I told you I was retarded!

BTW, I am totally agreeing with you on the post I made above, moving everything is a good idea, I was just simply saying it wont be difficult to manage the 4-5 people that have ftp to get them situated to the proper new subdirectories.

As far as backups?  Well I dont know how to backup the forum anymore, so I havent done that since it moved to its new home  :redface:

However, my craptastic main site html files are all backed up in several places, so Im not too worried about that.  I figure holy likely knows a way to backup the forum and maybe already has done so.  If not, I will look into it and pull a backup to my PC or something soon.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder