Author Topic: Several errors, requesting some assistance please.  (Read 5247 times)

Offline ArbalestX

• Weapons maker
  • Bow Bearer
Several errors, requesting some assistance please.
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:55:25 pm »
Hello everyone, I've been working with the Sword of Moonlight tool for several hours now, and it seems that I've ran into several problems during my time.

1st)  Frame-rate issues.  It seems that no matter what I do, my screen is chugging out a horrible frame rate.  While disabling a sky effect made the frame-rate better, It's still too low...

I've tried the following:

Change BGM,  Draw Dist 30, Fog .5, And none of them seem to really work.  I've done the preview option at the edit window, and it still chugs along...

I'm going to try and create a run-time to see if that would fix the issue...

2nd)  Controller support.  Joystick compatibility doesn't work in either test map or preview.  Is it supposed to do that?

3rd)  Some musics don't work.  Are there requirements for a .wav to play in the game?

I would greatly appreciate if you could help me out, because I'm starting to run out of options.

Oh, and here are some of my specs:

Windows XP ServPack 3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz
2.00 GB of Ram
Nvidia GEForce 7600

DirectDraw is currently disabled.

UPDATE:  Now the issue extends to more than just the game-maker itself, all the fan games run in a crippled speed.  I'm guessing it's some sort of incompatibility issue...

Controller support works when I create a run-time version of the game, so that's no problem.

Still wondering about the requirements for wav files...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:17:58 pm by ArbalestX »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Several errors, requesting some assistance please.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:55:40 am »
Your frame rate is probably because you have directdraw "disabled" ...it's running with a software renderer presumably. There are bugs which can cause this to happen however. I've encountered one where having the map bgm set to "none" at times had caused a run from the map editor to come to a crawl. Before trying to do a test from a built project, better to try running the test project option first. If anything a standalone built project will probably have more problems than a project run via the tools.

There are a number of joystick bugs. Some of which have been fixed by patching, others I think have not / are not easily done so. Some buttons on your joystick might not be available. I play with a Dualshock (PS2) controller and a SmartJoy or something PS2 to usb adapter. I have to reset the first button assignment every time I turn on the game, and there doesn't seem to be an easy patch for this bug. I can't play the KF1 remake standalone with a controller due to the menu buttons not being available or assignable. I have not had problems with any other SoM games however... and I think if I build the remake myself it works fine.

As for your controller working in one play and not the other. This is going to be because your ini files are different. If you copy the content of the ini from the working game into non-working game (just the joystick section if need be) you will most likely find both working fine.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:59:25 am by Holy Diver »

Offline ArbalestX

• Weapons maker
  • Bow Bearer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 03:19:43 am »
"Solved" the framerate issue, seems that I had to use a different display setting (In-game option) now it seems to work beautifully.

Controller also works with that excellent tip you gave me.

Thank you very much for your help, Diver.  I greatly appreciate it.

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 03:48:46 pm »
To my knowledge, all WAV files should work....   but there appears to be a Windows 98-ish character limit for the file name.  A WAV file name over 18-21 characters won't play in SoM. 

I vaguely remember a sound "18 Hordes of the Undead Silence.wav" not playing at all.
Renaming it to "18 Hordes Silence.wav", it worked just fine.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline ArbalestX

• Weapons maker
  • Bow Bearer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 05:56:03 pm »
Huh, that I didn't know.  Thanks for the tip.  I was going to use a song from another video game, but I didn't know that the name was too long.

Thank you for your assistance.

Out of curiousity, how do Counters work in this editor?  I'm able to get an NPC to display messages properly (Control active Leaf), but I want him to open a door when I give him an item.

However, the door itself isn't sealed (and I want it to be until I give the NPC the item), so I'm thinking the counters must have something to do with some objects being active/inactive...

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 06:29:33 pm »
The counters are set manually by using the Set Value in Counter type instructions in the event dialog.

You can either setup an event on the NPC that has a "Use Item Near" condition (don't quote me) ...or you can have the NPC ask for the item, or an event can check your inventory to see if you have an item and prompt the player for it.

PS/offtopic: [Assuming you're the same Arbalest with the Guyra gamefaqs name] Do you see anyone playing IMAGINE anymore?

Offline ArbalestX

• Weapons maker
  • Bow Bearer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:33:45 pm »
Well, I'm able to give the NPC an item, but trying to get the events working properly seems to be an issue.  Ive' been looking into the sample project that's inside the SOM folder (the KF Remake), but it doesn't help that it's all in Japanese.

I'll admit, I'm still having issues with counters, haha.

I won't be able to check it out immediately, currently in class. =P

(OOC:  Yeah, I'm the same one actually.  The amount of players in JP-Imagine has really dwindled, probably due to Cave's latest antics. a good deal of the players were most displeased.  As for the English player base in JP-Imagine, the majority don't play there anymore or headed over to the English server.)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:09:06 pm »
Wow, I like how this site has such helpful guys! 

Anyways, for your door issue...its probably a combination of using the apply button and saving that may be the cause.

Go to your door object that you created that you want sealed.  Highlight it, and click the 'extra setup' button and it will have you select the key item.  Set the key item to 'switch'.  Then you need to hit the 'counter list' button next.

On the counter list setup screen, highlight an empty counter slot, then fill in the name for that counter at the top, call it door unlock or something like that.  Then you have to hit the 'enter' button and hit 'ok'. Alright now the door is sealed until you modify the counter for the door unlock to 1.
You must hit APPLY while the door object is still selected before you exit from the activity editor on the door else all is lost that you just did.

Now, go to your event where you hand the item to the npc.

Under the event leaf that you have setup add an 'alter counter value' event that points to the door unlock counter and have it set the counter to value = 1.  This will unlock the door.  Again make sure to APPLY all changes before moving on.

Also make sure youre saving and outputting your changes before testing.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline ArbalestX

• Weapons maker
  • Bow Bearer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 10:10:51 pm »
Well, after an hour of tweaking (and adding some fading effects,) I've figured it out~

Thank you for the quick counter tutorial, I definitely appreciate it.

So far, so good.  I'll be experimenting with more effects with my tester dungeon.

Offline ArbalestX

• Weapons maker
  • Bow Bearer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 09:05:11 pm »
Hmm...  Making new landscapes should definitely be a future goal...

while making my tester-map game, I was going to try and be clever, and somehow make the cave 'two floors' using the low and high ceiling pieces that the editor provides.  Unfortunately, it seems that there's no slope piece, but I was going to have this covered with the rampart tower pieces.  Didn't seem to work all that well....

Issue is, now the cave is left with a very large gap (Due to lack of a ceiling piece) and the sides have large gaps (no side piece that would attach to the ceiling.)  So the whole thing is very awkward.

I'll keep it in the game regardless.  I'll have some NPCs speak some dialouge that says you should make custom pieces.  It's a test map anyways, so I'm still experimenting with ideas.