Author Topic: ..Crickets..  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: ..Crickets..
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 02:49:36 pm »
Finishing takes time... but I think I was slowed down when I failed to locate the writable data segment for the exe from the dll pov. I think I need to pick a forum/mailing list out that might have the answer. There's gotta be a cogent answer.

^Technically after all, this is something from a security pov you're not supposed to be able to do. But I know it's technically possible, because if it wasn't programs wouldn't work.

Also I never intended to bite off so much in the first place :doh:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:52:02 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 04:25:00 pm »
Heh, when you said "You should work on a new game" Todd, I thought "Hell no!" would have popped into my head....   but "Hmmm....   interesting" showed up instead. 

....I find that captivating.

I'll keep my radar open in case anything profound shows up.  Actually, something relatively profound showed up while I was typing this.  (that was quick)

An idea a SoM'er had back in the day, the tips and ideas I mentioned to him to coerce his idea proved to be somewhat unique - however, this person didn't have the "oomph" to complete it.

I want to type out this idea, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for "general discussion".....

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 05:12:35 pm »
Finishing takes time... but I think I was slowed down when I failed to locate the writable data segment for the exe from the dll pov. I think I need to pick a forum/mailing list out that might have the answer. There's gotta be a cogent answer.

^Technically after all, this is something from a security pov you're not supposed to be able to do. But I know it's technically possible, because if it wasn't programs wouldn't work.

Also I never intended to bite off so much in the first place :doh:

LOL, when i first read this post I thought it was Hguohls trying to satire Holy Diver on why he hadnt finished his game, then i reread it and realized it was holy :P
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:25:31 pm »
My next SOM game after DD and shadowgate will probably take me a ton of time but will not be a very large game.

I am going to spend some real time creating an entire custom map set using all 1024 slots with as many unique map parts as I can get into about 3-4 maps.  The idea would be to make a game built on a fully unique 3d environment rather than a construction set of 2meter x 2 meter tiles.  In case you didnt already know, just because SOM's map editor tries to limit you to 2x2 map tiles doesnt mean the map editor is truly limited to them.  In other words, I could easily 3d model a 6 meter x 6 meter map tile and place it on the map editor, then I wouldnt have to place anything but invisible tiles in the adjacent squares around it.  The msm and mhm files are capable of creating visual and collision far larger than 2x2...

Imagine how good an SOM game could look if you threw out the tile-style map setup and instead modeled a real 3D environment and just converted it to SOM usable files..  The 3D engine itself is capable of showing decent resolution textures, and a moderate amount of polygons.

I figure the project will probably take me 2 years to finish, but I am not going to start it unless all of the following come true to make it worthwhile:

1 - someone cracks the code on enemy and npc creation for SOM and I can create entirely custom and new enemies/npcs.  This is an absolute must, else the rest of the 3d work will be worthless.

2 - I would want to utilize the cracked version of SOM that holydiver hints is possible, in otherwords being able to modify stats the game doesnt currently track, being able to add armor items that affect attack powers, being able to monitor what is equipped, being able to simulate weapon and armor deterioration etc.

3 - I get a talented musician to make an entire score for the game.

4 - I get some help texturing 3d files for this world I am going to create.

The goal of the project would be a game probably half the size of DD but much more vast in appearance and feel, as well as something entirely new that no other SOM game has.

If another program pops up that I can figure out how to use between now and then I may not go with SOM, I dunno yet...either way I wont be starting this project until probably late next year or early 2011.
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 06:56:53 pm »
No, I wasn't trying to ridicule Holy.....

.....I really have a new idea for a game.  >_<

Wait!  Nevermind, I misread that.  I'm confused too.  #_#
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:58:28 pm by Hguols »

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:13:02 am »
I miss John... it's nice to have someone else around that isn't like all, "oooooo, computer make magic happen, ahhhhhh"? :tongue:

Edited: Really I've just had a lot of crap on my plate lately... I really wanna focus on cracking SoM open asap. I mean hacking it... no more file monkeying for now (but I'll keep investigating the model files as I develop the remake code -- eventually might even figure out the animations sooner than later)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:18:57 am by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 08:30:13 am »
If you can figure out the whole animation thing you will be my personal hero.
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 11:29:50 am »
Tom, email me your ideas for your next game when you get your craziness on paper!
Site Founder