Author Topic: No Hardware Acceleration? Help  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Wrexsoul

• Dagger Carrier
No Hardware Acceleration? Help
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:00:42 am »
Sorry for posting this here but i cannot found a issues section.

I downloaded Trismegistus and the installation goes fine. Clicked the EXE and the game opened normally, showed the intro, start menu, more intro scene, then... in the in-game play i was unable to move and everything seems stopped! But i can hear the background music and as able to enter tab menu. There i checked System tab and realised the DEVICE tab was empty. Tried to set something and RGB EMULATION is the only option.

I think my video card driver wasn't been detected by the game engine. My system is an Athlon 64 3200+, Radeon 9600 with latest catalyst drivers, WinXP and DX9.

Trismegistus.ini shows DEVICE=0 and I changed to 1 but no effect. Also i tried Win98 compatibility mode and nothing... 

This never happened before with any other 3D game in my system. What can I do?

Sorry for my english!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:02:21 am by Wrexsoul »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: No Hardware Acceleration? Help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 04:21:10 am »
Are you sure directx is turned on? Ie. dxdiag?

Btw, it's not unusual for the system options menu to lock up. I'm not sure why it gets like this. Probably because it doesn't like something in the ini file against your system. You can modify the ini file yourself. Device 1 is most common I think.

Something like:

[config]
device=1
width=800   
height=600
bpp=16
filtering=2
gamma=16
seVol=63
bgmVol=63
bob=1
showGage=1
showCommpass=1
showItem=1
padDev=0
padCfg0=5
padCfg1=3
padCfg2=1
padCfg3=4
padCfg4=6
padCfg5=7
padCfg6=2
padCfg7=5

Is probably safe. There are a few bugs if you're trying to play with a controller. If everything works you're lucky, but don't be surprised if you have to correct the controller config a little every time you play the game. There are supposedly fixes for some form of the controller bugs, but I'm pretty sure the kind that always gets me (SmartJoy PLUS DualShock adapter) is something not yet addressed.

Edited: Another thing to try is changing the compatibility mode of the executable by opening it's property dialog.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 12:15:56 pm »
I would agree it sounds like it might be directx.

Go to your run option from the start menu and use dxdiag

In the display tab, make sure all your 3D acceleration settings are enabled.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Wrexsoul

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:20:33 pm »
Thanks for the advice ppl! It's really something wrong with my direct3d. As I opened dxdiag and in the display tab, it's says directdraw and AGP acceleration is unsupported (the test button desactivated for the two). When I run direct3d test it's return something like OUT OF MEMORY error and closes. What's oddest of all is that another D3D based engines are running correctly (at least Battlefield 2 game and 3Dmark 2003). Well i'll try to reinstall directx9.0c to see what happens.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 07:18:10 pm »
This is probably because SoM uses DX7 which works entirely thru directdraw, which is bypassed I think by later versions of DX. I have no idea why directdraw would not be supported however. Please let us know whatever you find out.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 09:49:59 pm »
DirectX can be a pain to reinstall, there are special steps to do so, I would google it, I believe it requires modifying the registry...its not a simple reinstall.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 01:05:48 am »
I had a feeling at this point google would lead you to the promised land :smug: