Author Topic: Known forum issues...  (Read 14723 times)

Offline kilroyfx

• To Game is Human!!
  • VIP
  • Mace Masher
Re: Known forum issues...
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2009, 11:52:15 pm »
There are some pretty amazing FREE fonts here if this helps, I like the way it looks. Easier to read. Nice, subtle.
http://www.fontfreak.com/fonts-a3.htm
Cheers

KilroyFx

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2009, 03:00:51 am »
Looks good to me!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2009, 05:00:50 am »
The M especially looks chiselly. I'm not sure myself if that is a flaw or a feature, but it's just the way Photoshop scaled up the font. Maybe the font was not Truetype and I should've stuck to a recommended pt... but it was too late by the time I noticed for this version. I just hope it doesn't look too awful on larger screens. I doubt the deviation is more than a pixel, but it's pretty obvious even on my extremely high dpi display here if I gawk at it for very long.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2009, 09:12:19 am »
There are some pretty amazing FREE fonts here if this helps, I like the way it looks. Easier to read. Nice, subtle.
http://www.fontfreak.com/fonts-a3.htm

If anyone ever wants to do the big file download: http://www.fontfreak.com/bigfiles1.htm

I think we could technically upload the file to the website for people to download for free.

Personally I'm aware of online font options, but I'm afraid to go down that rabbit hole so to speak. With my obsessive behavior when it comes to selecting fonts, if I had every font at my fingertips I could spend all day cycling thru them, much less deciding between potential candidates. If I ever do get serious about this sort of thing, I should probably prune my font folder back to only the ones I could ever imagine using somehow.

PS: I got tired of browsing thru these fonts (though the Dark Crystal / Fearless vampire Killers fonts were a fun addition) when I realized every letter also has multiple pages :doh:

If any of you boys find any fonts in there you think would work well, let me know...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:14:25 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2009, 11:15:43 pm »
I have this font called XXII Ultimate Black Metal. 

IT IS AWESOME.

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2009, 11:13:17 am »
http://www.fonts4free.net/show-font.php?action=show&font=xxii-ultimate-black-metal-font&textfield=Wicked&Submit=Click+To+Render

The type your own font test thing on this site is actually very awesome^

I thought about making my own applet to do that yesterday, but wasn't sure if it would be practical. I will probably try to find out what the site is doing as much as possible. Looks very server side though. It's possible PHP's GD engine can do this easy.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2009, 11:21:25 am »
PS: as long as we're in this thread. Earlier yesterday I tweaked the logo with the sword in the banner to make it as natural as possible. Still the banner just isn't doing enough for me :rolleyes:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
SPLIT: The official Swordofmoonlight.com 2010 Makeover thread...
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2009, 07:31:03 pm »
THE FOLLOWING TWO POSTS WERE MERGED BACK INTO THIS THREAD FROM A PREVIOUSLY SPLIT SERIES OF POSTS

Just for the record guys... I'm not trying to be overbearing. But again, once we convert to Wordpress with the Kubrick them, we're going to need a version of the banner style below:

Anything else will look basically very out of place.

It will be easier to experiment with a custom theme for the website after Wordpress is operational.

For starters I will easily change it to be about Sword of Moonlight and erase the Kerberos (dog) so it can be replaced with the Moonlight sticking out from behind the cliff or something.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:39:19 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
SPLIT: The official Swordofmoonlight.com 2010 Makeover thread...
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »
You know, on second thought.... I tried this banner style, and it just doesn't work. It was like:

SWORD OF MOONLIGHT (no lowercases in the font)
 KING'S FIELD Making site (or whatever)

And just doesn't fly.

So I'm thinking, probably it would be easier to just customize WordPress to make it look like the existing site (basically use the same resources) than to try to come up with a new banner that works. Still in the long haul I'd like to see something that looked more professional with a more general purpose organization, but let's just defer that / see what evolves...

One thing's for sure, is you will find the website infinitely more convenient to use / add content to, alongside a plethora of features that would otherwise just be impossible without a dynamic website.

PS: This is the forum issues thread and somehow it's become about the main site itself!!

There might be a split in the future...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:57:13 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:24 pm »
So what about the twisted/evil emoticons??

I don't know where these emoticons came from. I took them from the emoticon directory of the digitaldevildb.com bbs before it fell onto my shoulders. The original bbs was vbulletin, which was licensed for like 100$ a year. I don't know if these were part of the vbulletin package or not. But anyway, I gotta admit, I can't hardly bear to use any other emoticons. The others (on like every bbs on the internet) are all so bad, and 90% of the time don't even convey the emotion I feel they're supposed to (that is the emoticon seems to be conveying intentions I don't want to convey)

Not to mention this is the only set that reasonably fits next to text without making the line height taller than the text.

I wish I knew where they came from. Anyway, I'm thinking I will probably have to make evil/twisted myself. I'd like to know if these are basically free licensing wise or not. Good emoticons are so hard to come by, I wouldn't mind setting up an open emoticon project some day to really standardize them. I also really like the way these emoticons are all different colours, so I don't feel racist by using them.