Author Topic: Known forum issues...  (Read 14722 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Known forum issues...
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 07:06:34 am »
The new banner is looking much better.... I really put some thought into it :smokin:

I meant for the colour inside the raised lettering to be lighter (nearer the background colour) but for some reason it looks darker nearer the top of my lcd display (I was working nearer the bottom in the image processor)

I think the positioning is ok for now, but the logo stands out too much so obviously it needs some work. My plan atm (asap) is to make the logo match the look of the faerie as much as possible.

Just needs a classy background now...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:15:12 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 08:11:55 am »
Believe it or not I did all of this banner work without using anything like an embossing tool :cool:

PS: I think I think I will make the logo link to the Fromsoftware site when I get a chance...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:13:32 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2009, 05:36:27 pm »
I noticed on one of my computers the background colour of the banner area does not perfectly match the final colour of the fade graphic at the top of the banner. So there is a major square of mismatched colour there, though I admit I can't see it on my new portable's lcd display. I think a contributing factor could be the environment I noticed this in was 16bit colour. I think I can just barely make out the colour shift, but in the 16bit environment it was clear as night and day.

Anyway, just posting as a reminder to myself to fix this and apologizing if anyone else is seeing this (should've said something if so)

PS: Since no one is congratulating me on the banner work, I'm guessing you guys are not crazy about it. I gotta admit, I think it's a lot better than I hoped to achieve, and is approaching a modicum of professionalism. The SOM lettering actually appear the least professional now after I finished the official logo graphic. That really looks like you can run your fingers over it and feel it. It is a bit washed out, but I think the watermark type feel works, and makes it not compete with the .com banner (because both of them contain lettering)

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2009, 06:24:20 pm »
I think it looks terrible and I prefer the pre-embossed design.
^_^

....not to mention the SoM logo isn't on the same blue pallet. 

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2009, 08:23:49 pm »
Do you mean the background behind the SOM.com lettering is a different colour? I am aware of that (technically this is not my fault btw, the theme came this way) otherwise please elaborate...

As for the logo it is not an emboss actually. The old graphic was unacceptable to me (really only temporary) ...this one looks like it's raised out of the banner panel. Anyway, I think it looks quite nice, but most importantly it looks good enough. I'm done working with it, but would be happy to try different graphics out upon presentation. And I think you're being either sarcastic or facetious, because "horrible" is a strong choice of words for something that would appear acceptable on any corporate site. I agree maybe it could use some tweaking in the ramp dept, but otherwise looks fine.

If you're confused about the layout. Make your browser window smaller and smaller until the non-background part of the page stops moving. Then you will see how the banner looks on an 800x600 display.

PS: One reason I think the emboss look works especially well, is the white halo around the lettering cannot be removed, and looks really tacky imo. But as an emboss it looks like it's just raising the lettering.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:34:10 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2009, 08:31:37 pm »
The official logo is actually just b/w. I had to save it with the blue background for now though because I can't seem to get the layer out of the photoshop project without losing it's combinatorial properties. I think that might be a quirk of the old version I use. Maybe if I went to the trouble of p2p'ing a newer version it would do better. The problem is the layer blending options don't map directly to the png format and I can't find a way to convert it to a non blended layer as is :doh: 

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2009, 08:39:06 pm »
The thinking behind the SOM.com look is it's like a wax seal, which seems appropriate for the decorative capital letters. Without that effect they look like something random on a hipsters tshirt from a modern pov :rolleyes:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 08:53:11 pm »
Hmmm, the background seems to be the right colour, so I have no idea what is going on unless there is some slight effect in the SOM.com pixels which should be completely transparent. I'm assuming there must be. I will have to look into that later...

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009, 10:52:58 pm »
YIKES!!!

I just noticed the new General Discussion forum is not visible to guests (and who knows who else??)

^Can you try to fix this asap Todd :doh:

PS: I virtually give up on why the background of the banner is different behind the SOM.com logo in some environments. It's fine on this machine. For the record the environment that does this to me is Linux with X running in 16bit mode with Firefox1.0 (backported) ...my only guess is even though the values are the same for the background colour and the png images, different (radically so) colours are chosen for use in that environment. The only fix I can think of just now (and probably not a bad idea) is to make the background image like 10x taller. But it's just a 1 pixel wide strip of pixels so that should not be a prob.... geez I love it when I talk my self thru this sort of stuff :ninja:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2009, 01:56:11 am »
I think the gen discussion board was just not visible to guests?? Did you make it that way on purpose Todd?

Anyway, I've made it visible now. I don't see the harm in it...