Author Topic: Known forum issues...  (Read 14721 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Known forum issues...
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:40:03 pm »
In lieu of a gen/meta discussion forum, here is a rundown (or checklist) of issues with the new forums. All of this is stuff I will fix, and pretty much did not foresee (bug wise) ...I will try to list as much as possible though, and basically in terms of priority.

*Phones it in... the default message icon should be "says" ...not sure what is going on here, but I will figure it out asap (FYI: Phones it in, should be for mobile/WAP originating posts)
*In general the "Message Icon" system is not working correctly. and still needs some attention. Once it's working correctly I will set all the previous existing messages to "says". FYI: I programmed this newspaper-like behavior into this theme myself. Basically because the avatars need to be on the right, it helps you stay better oriented.

*Ads are scheduled to be removed.
*Need to find smiley's to match the old forum's. Also need to reorder and break into two rows the posting smiley layout.
*Need to find out how to incorporate the old "Dagger Carrier", "Bow Bearer", etc. theme. Currently you can see what you are by hovering over your stars. Also many of the higher level ranks still have phpBB prefixes.
*Need to find out why Todd's account does not show up as an administrator with 5 red stars (he does apparently have admin powers)
*The place could probably use a bot/spam cleanup. The new forum is OCR protected, but some more sophisticated bots have been breaching this "captcha" algorithm lately.
*I'm aware PM pages look funny. This is just something that doesn't seem important enough forum wise to goof around with anytime soon.
*The banner graphics are temporary (on short notice) We can do better. Need a unique background.
*Need a gen/meta discussion forum.
*Need to make sure everyone has access to the private forums. And we might need a better way of granting access, because the current system probably doesn't work right if a user is not already an admin/moderator.
*Need to better hide/lockdown the old forums.
*Need to add anything to this list that has been left out...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:55:01 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
Re: Known forum issues...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:47:17 pm »
I replaced all of the emoticon codes with colon<name>colon codes. So stuff like :) won't be transformed into emoticons anymore (a pet-peeve of mine)

This will mess up a few emoticons since the conversion, and possibly any emoticons used by the old forums that did not use colon bracketed codes.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 05:27:32 pm »
Turns out the phones it in bug was because I'd forgotten I had just used a cheap hack by counting the number of characters in the message icon path and looking at the next character. I should do a back search looking for the first slash, clip the end off the string before doing the comparison (that chooses the message to use) ...which is kind of a must for more than 16 messages. But anyway, I just adjusted the hack for the length of the new forum domain (swordofmoonlight)

I also noticed that I had accidentally installed the forum to swordofmoonlight.com instead of www.swordofmoonlight.com. It was easy to change the urls used by the forum, but most of the install is still served out of swordofmoonlight.com, and there doesn't seem to be a builtin way to fix that.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:00:41 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 05:51:16 pm »
Here are the bbcode smileys from the old forum we can support:

:lol:
:oops:
:cry:
:evil:
:twisted:
:roll:
:wink:
:!:
:?:
:idea:
:arrow:

The rest were actual emoticons, Eg. :) ...which I'd rather just leave alone.

Below is a list of these smileys that will be replaced with images as they come online (or already exist) ...

:lol:
:oops:
:cry:
:evil:
:twisted:
:roll:
:wink:
:!:
:?:
:idea:
:arrow:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:59:00 pm »
Very nice!

**sits back and happily relaxes knowing someone competant has taken over forum admin
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:16:14 pm »
Very nice indeed!  The forum looks and feels VERY professional!  Great work, once again, Holy Diver!

Now all this place needs is a mess of people to occupy some of the dead air.....

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 05:01:56 pm »
^Just need to figure out the banner/logo/background stuff *leans on Todd*

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 05:55:47 pm »
Attached is a temporary forums logo proposal...

Maybe Tom could cook up one of his Fraktur letterheads??

Edited: Note the file hasn't been made "ghost-like" yet (I'm so minimalist I know.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:00:07 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 08:30:15 am »
Let me know exactly what you want me to do, and I'll whip it up!

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:35:40 am »
If I weren't such a retard and actually could figure out how you made your dog creature graphic and the devildb logo I woulda made you something better than what was up there hehe....but if Tom wants to take a crack at a name graphic I will wait for it and convert it to that see through imaging stuff you were talking about.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder