King's Field Related Games > King's Field Series

Does Shadow Tower PS1 have multiple endings?

(1/3) > >>

EdmondDantes:
So... Shadow Tower's ending doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Is there another one?  Cuz I mean, you're here to save some town, but now the game says I'm after a magic crown or something?  And the town isn't even mentioned?  Huh?

Related.... I notice the game actually tells you how many monsters are in the tower and keeps count of how cleared each area is.  Has anyone ever 100% cleared every area in the tower?  I tried this, and almost succeeded, but there's one last monster in the Screeching Area that simply refuses to spawn and I'm not sure if something triggers it, or if the game is bugged.

Do you get anything for 100% clearing the tower?

Holy_Diver:
The ending is the cherubic hero succumbs to the corrupting power of the evil crown. If there's another ending it's among the most well kept secrets of gaming, but it would not be so surprising because these games are so little played. I never could enter a hallway that has a window peering into it, in the area with the magic books, and maybe with the goat man NPC.

I thought maybe that section was crucial to an alternative ending, since the window is tantalizing. But I'm not sure I've ever seen a video on the WWW that really addresses that section. I have seen a video that says there is an event glitch if you enter a section from the wrong direction (which seems more commonly taken) and if so you cannot see one monster, who is like an NPC. They may be a goat too, but smaller if so, like a little man. My goat man is tall and wears a cape.

EdmondDantes:
I think I know the area you mean.  On my recent playthru I entered the area thru the normal door (which you have to kinda take a fall of faith to access from the Tower since its on a fenced-in platform), then found a telepor slab, took it, came back... and suddenly there was this dude there who called me annoying and "sealed" my magic.  Which honestly its kind of amazing monsters in this game think sealing magic is all that harmful to you seeing as how you barely use it.

But yeah, I have a previous game where I've killed all the monsters in each area (which means I must've found all the secret rooms)... except for the Screeching Room Area, tho again I've found all the secrets there (Screeching Room has a door you need to buy a key from that snake lady to open.  Which yes, I bought the key).

My only guess about my situation involves a strange conversation.  In this room you can meet Auriel, who first tells you something about the tower.  If you talk to her again, she says "are you prepared to battle me?" then disappears.  You never actually battle her (unless you attack her before talking to her).  I actually tried killing her and no, she does not count towards monster kill percentage.

I'm guessing you have to talk to her again after beating the game and making an end-of-game save (which, loading this save puts you back at the top of the Tower, but with your kill percentage, stats and belongings intact.  It seems like clearing the tower is the sole reason this feature exists), but if you talked to her and made her disappear the first time around, you've lost your chance.  Unless she appears somewhere else (in the main game you do meet her again elsewhere and she gives you a soul pod... kinda wondering what happens if you kill her).

So many unsolved mysteries in this game.  I posted on another forum that this is actually a boon to the game in some ways, since it makes it creepier--something like Silent Hill has been analyzed so much that you know, for example, how the sound of a second set of footsteps that stops soon after you do is done... but in Shadow Tower, you don't know how a lot of it works.  I found a lot of creepy things that I could never get to happen a second time.

Holy_Diver:
http://hg101.proboards.com/thread/14583/shadow-tower-unsung-horror-game?page=1 isn't loading for me. The title comes up, but it freezes.

That sounds like the glitch monster. I'm not sure what the repercusions are, but the video I watched is probably still on YouTube.

I haven't played ST in, god, probably 20yrs. I don't know if I noticed the game restart system or not. Abyss had one, which didn't really work in practice. I mean, there's not much point in playing again with the dynamic of eking out an existence removed. I felt like I'd missed things in Abyss too... it seems rushed/incomplete... that I could never really verify. I would be amazed if there is more to these titles undiscovered, but I think probably they only offer the illusion of indomitability.

Sword of Moonlight actually bears more resemblance to ST than any other title. It's a little ironic, but it makes sense given its date of publication.

EDITED: I did later purchase the game on Japan PSN. I played some, but didn't get back into the groove of it. I read that there is a weapon switching system that I don't believe is in the manual.

EdmondDantes:
hg101 is kind of a glitchy forums.  Sometimes I have to hit reload then press Stop whenever I actually see text.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version