Author Topic: King's Field II, accurate recreation, including VR  (Read 7436 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
Re: King's Field II, accurate recreation, including VR
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:06:51 pm »
My computer keeps telling me zlibd1.dll has a trojan. Any advice?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:50:43 am »
You can delete it. I didn't know it was in there. It's a dependency of a tool I was using to convert files. It's not a "trojan." Thanks for showing an interest. Those things have lots of false positives.

Offline HerDarkLord

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 05:58:12 pm »
King's field 2 was one of my favorite games, definitely gonna try this out.

Offline HerDarkLord

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 06:14:35 pm »
Experienced an issue with the resolution, the default is set to 1024x768, it cuts off the right and left side of the screen, the left side isn't a problem, but the right is since it cuts off part of the game screen.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 07:52:57 pm »
Experienced an issue with the resolution, the default is set to 1024x768, it cuts off the right and left side of the screen, the left side isn't a problem, but the right is since it cuts off part of the game screen.

You'd have to post an image. There aren't any resolution problems. You can change the resolution in the Options. What do you mean the "left side isn't a problem" anyway? If the picture is not there for you that would be a major problem.

EDITED: The image below is an example screen. You can set the resolution to anything and that is the resolution the window will be. You can maximize or press Alt+F11 to put it into full screen. Normally F11 by itself would do so, however the debug overlay system is enabled, which does something else with F11. (To preempt further confusion, the image shows a water effect not in the current demo files. It was released the other day, but isn't enabled without changing the INI file.)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:01:09 pm by Holy_Diver »

Offline HerDarkLord

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:39:47 pm »
This is what I mean.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 11:21:28 pm »
EDITED: I wrote a reply, but I had an idea, and I think I understand your trouble now. Your monitor is 768 tall isn't it? I was able to cause problems for myself by setting the height to 1080 but narrower than the monitor width. Thanks.

I will work on a fix and a patch. Please try 720 in the meantime, or whatever is available on your system that is not as tall as your monitor. Unfortunately SOM uses the monitor's full screen modes to generate its display resolution menus, even though I recommend playing it in a window. My goal is to replace the system menu with a new more expansive program/library named after the Exselector from King's Field III. It's actually among my current projects.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:22:58 am by Holy_Diver »

Offline HerDarkLord

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 12:44:30 am »
Yeah, I switched it to 800, 600 and it works fine. Thanks for the quick responses. It's nice to see someone still working with the old king's field games, I grew up playing them. Nearly 20 years ago I first picked up the US version on king's field 1(2) for ps1. The demo looks really nice, takes some time getting used to the SoMs controls layout.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 03:21:25 am »
Yeah, I switched it to 800, 600 and it works fine. Thanks for the quick responses. It's nice to see someone still working with the old king's field games, I grew up playing them. Nearly 20 years ago I first picked up the US version on king's field 1(2) for ps1. The demo looks really nice, takes some time getting used to the SoMs controls layout.

http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=294.msg2711#msg2711

Here (http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.2.9.zip) is a fix for the DLL in the EX/SYSTEM folder. The fix is really at 1.2.2.10.zip but 9 is a demo that makes the water move even though that's not yet implemented.

It's nice to see someone still working with the old king's field games

This is an unauthorized port to Sword of Moonlight. I am really developing SOM as a more attractive, noncommercial alternative to big company's products. I think we're resurrecting the King's Field franchise, but it may be too soon to say. I mean business. I think KF2 is probably the best video game (that there is) so it's neat to be able to support it. I think it's made for VR so it would be a real shame to not do something with it now.

EDITED: This was a lucky find. I guess I never worked on this problem because it only really manifests (currently) if the INI file is set to a resolution that is probably not offered by the Option menu.  I didn't know 768 was a size monitors come in. It's a good find; I'm glad you spoke up.

P.S. You can add this to the Ex.ini file to see the water with a new depth-based effect. It's a little too blue, since the full color shows instead of being 50/50 blended with the black background. It's going to have an underwater feature after some more work later... even though in KF2 that's just good for dying. Swimming would come after, but I have a feeling swimming doesn't fit well into KF2's setting.

Code: [Select]
[Volume]

;testing new feature
0_ii1161280 = Veld seawater
volume_depth = 8
volume_power = 1/3
volume_sides = 1
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:29:14 am by Holy_Diver »