Author Topic: x2mdo.exe (d3drm.dll)  (Read 13682 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: x2mdo.exe (d3drm.dll)
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009, 02:13:44 pm »
We should probably have a long talk about file formats. I don't know why the graphics community/industry can't seem to standardize anything...

For me like Kilroyfx I tend to favor Maya though I also try to keep up with Blender, but every time I need to use Blender it's like I have to reteach myself... so I go back to Maya for small jobs. Anyway Maya seems to be pretty bad in the export/import dept. Probably I should just P2P a crack of Okino's import/export suite (since I don't seem to have one lying around) ...but I thought maybe we could come to some general consensus on non-SOM formats.

I think I will download Blender later, and see what it's builtin import/export options are like. If possible, as a community we should probably favor Blender, being free/open/legal and all.

PS: And while we're at it... Todd you should really start recommending GIMP over Paintbrush!! When I read your tutorials extolling Paintbrush I'm magically transported back to 1990. Hard to believe it was only 20yrs ago. Even harder to believe Paintbrush hasn't changed for one bit  :smug:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:22:09 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009, 06:09:09 pm »
Ill put crap where I want to :P

I created the individual people's folders to share things with those specific people in the first place.

P.S. Youre welcome
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 06:13:21 pm »
Lol, the link is paintshop, not paintbrush.  :P

huge difference!
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2009, 09:09:01 pm »
Never heard of Paintshop in my life!! Is it a free? Same thing as Corel Paintshop? And I wonder if Corel Paintshop is the same as Corel Photopaint?? We should try to link people to active software product websites whenever possible.

Anyway, Blender was pretty good about lwo and other formats, including X (which I will try with those X files when I get a chance)

As usual for the life of me I couldn't figure out Blender though. I actually did the Armored Core ripoff models featured in one of the posts in this thread with Blender in little to no time (two evenings) ...so I know the Blender way is efficient, but it's just impossible to figure out without a book telling you how it all works. It really needs a non-expert interface. I think Blender is a very powerful tool suite these days, but the UI doesn't seem to have changed one bit in all these years.

So I just exported to a Maya compatible file. I didn't realize this armor was a complete set. It will work really well for my purposes. Do you have screenshots of the helmet and gloves? I really want to rip the original textures somehow. If I can just get a KF2 in an emulator with those items all in the save game I'm confident I can get the textures (I've done it before)

I noticed the shield seems to be asymmetric, though it's possible I guess I distorted the geometry somehow somewhere along the way??? But in your screenshot above it looks maybe the same way, though it's hard to tell from the angel. Basically the ribs sticking out from the shield are considerably longer on one side than the other.

Can you make screenshots of the gloves and helmet just to satisfy my curiosity?

I have a feeling I'll just throw together some temporary texturing work so I can hurry up and get something into SOM so to round out my project effort.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:44:06 am by Holy Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2009, 09:27:37 pm »
Ya I can get you those, I will check my save game on my pc at work where I took the pics at originally  :biggrin:

Im trying to remember where the gloves come from, and I remember the helm is behind necron's area...

Should have you the shots probably tomorrow night.
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2009, 10:33:46 pm »
Can you take a screenshot of the shield with it facing directly toward the screen while you're at it.

I must never have played KFII exhaustively. I look forward to it, but I'm saving all my KF energy for your DD release for now... so the longer you take the more energy I'll have save up (is that how that works?? :tongue:)

Plus once you have everything, please make a saved game or save state or whatever, and send it to me. A link/copy of the ASCII iso image wouldn't hurt either. From there I can capture/apply the textures.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 09:49:17 am »
A link/copy of the ASCII iso image wouldn't hurt either. From there I can capture/apply the textures.

Really?  Because that would be awesome.  I pulled a lot of the models off of the cd but I didnt know you could grab the textures too!

So just fyi, I was pulling these straight off the KF cd.  How would you like me to grab the image of the disc exactly?  I want to be sure I do it right.

I have an .iso file that I use for my emulator, will that work?
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 05:18:59 pm »
Well I've explained to you how this works in the past. Granted however, if you found the models on the disc image, the textures can't be too far away. I'd be interested to know if the model files you found include texture coordinates and if your conversion process retains them.

If you have a .iso file you use to emulate the game, that is the same one I will need. I will also explain the process to you. Basically all I would do to get the textures is capture a frame of the game with either an OpenGL or DirectX proxy dll (like Ogle) as we've discussed before. Which to use depends on whether the graphics plugin you're using with your emulator is OpenGL or DirectX based.

With the playstation there is no actual 3D hardware onboard to emulate. Really it's just a powerful 2D rasterization engine (2D triangle drawer) ...so if you capture a frame of KF, you won't get any 3D information. You will get instead the projection of the 3D scene, which is what you'd get if you took a 3D world and squashed it into 2D. However the textures loaded into the video ram are 2D anyway, so that information is totally good. So capturing textures is not a problem.

The PS2 is again really not 3D hardware. It does have a depth buffer and a pseudo depth coordinate, so it's theoretically possible at least to reconstruct a 3D scene by manipulating the pseudo depth coordinate where used. This kind of 3D is only concerned with insuring things behind other things don't reasonably get rendered in front of the things they are behind. The actual spatial integrity is not a concern for the hardware. In other words, if you took the 3d scene and turned it sideways information along what was previously the view angle would be considerably distorted. Because the actual location of this information when projected is not important, only the ordering is (to the PS2 hardware)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 08:11:15 pm »
Here you go
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 09:08:01 pm »
Hmmm, I'm not nuts about the asymmetric shield. For the SOM remake version I'm thinking I will make the shape basically symmetrical (unless someone cries foul... I don't plan to use the shield anyway, but figure might as well complete the set)

Are we positive that helmet goes with this set? And if the Truth Mirror mentions Galth Fee for it, are we positive that is just not crap "ASCII" made up? When I play KF2 I think I will take some notes maybe.

PS: Any luck with the gloves yet?