Author Topic: New subreddit and weird SOM prototype? on FS's most recent product page?!?!  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
First of all, I made a new SOM forum today. While at it, I tried to find an official SOM page, and discovered some really funky screenshots (http://www.fromsoftware.jp/jp/detail.html?csm=013:smash2:

/r/SwordOfMoonlight: https://www.reddit.com/r/SwordOfMoonlight/comments/81pytg/what_is_this/

:eek: In ways these look like a window into some alternate universe. Maybe the Donald J Trump dimension ripped a hole in the fabric of space-time....

It looks fresh. But I've looked at them a little. I think that probably they're pictures of a prototype prior to being repackaged as a glossy product.

There is a shop association option for the NPC. And an event trigger radius too. There seems to be tools for editing SFX.dat, which would've been great for developers. There is animations in the model preview window. If this isn't new, shame that didn't make it into the final product.

The map editor looks like it probably has a toggle for drawing versus selecting... which is something I've struggled to add to SOM_MAP... except I had it to draw when dragged/held for a period and otherwise work for selecting/opening up tiles (with a toggle for legacy drawing mode.)

P.S. I don't think Reddit is super user friendly, but I think that it's probably a better place to discuss SOM these days. Especially because it's a kind of neutral ground that can be resilient if there is ever a current interest in things SOM.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:44:52 pm by Holy_Diver »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
That is a really cool find, shots I have never seen before.  Gotta agree its sad those features never made it in, I have to assume they were meant to but never did...or we never got the updated toolset (I know there were iterations of updates to the SoM tools).  Let us know if you find anything more!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
They weren't really meant to. The internal version (which this must be. whoops webmaster!) would have been used to make DLC and expansion packages if SOM prospered. I think MDL and SFX was a bad combination. They are inflexible. To this day you can't really make a vertex-based animation with any kind of modeling software. So my guess is, that From Software must have had a good vertex-based animation tool (PlayStation games chiefly used this kind of animation) that could not be shared, but was also saddled with the PlayStation's hardware limits.

I'd like to make the vertex-based animation the only kind SOM uses, but the only way to take full advantage of their flexibility is to first make an all new modeling tool able to create those animations.