Author Topic: Yup, I'm still around.  (Read 6223 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Yup, I'm still around.
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2018, 12:06:17 pm »
Here is a good example of why HD skins are needed :tongue:

[There be Krakens!]

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:07:08 am by Holy_Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 08:47:48 am »
One thing I have noticed however, is that none of these use true black so far - instead there are just really deep shades of whatever color(s) the bmps were mostly comprised of. If that's an issue, let me know asap so I can go back and make changes if necessary! I know you said black was your transparency color, and some of these (the flame ones, for wisps/spells, etc.) seem like they should be transparent. It could also be that the original bmps had some sort of cut-off range that was considered black within their system, assuming the original KF operates in a similar manner as SOM. But that's just a guess/assumption. :sweatdrop:

I'm not sure what I said, but some files like "832x,000y    1293760.bmp" do have nontransparent elements that are also black. The value 7 comes from converting from 5bit color to 8bit color. It is really 0 (black) in 5bit color. SOM thinks anything 7 or less is transparent. The PlayStation uses the last bit to mark transparent pixels, but the bit doesn't seem to count unless the pixel is also black...

I realized from the "scrawl" text from the previous post that the black highlights were built into the images. So I went back and generated new ones that reflect this. In SOM the scrawl actually looks better without the black, and had I had that part of the image I might not have did the highlight the way that I did.

Funny thing! The scrawl text is taken from the text on the gravestones, so when you look at the gravestones you can imagine their inscriptions read same as the text :biggrin:

The black highlights will be needed for the stones, if not the scrawl itself. The blue stars have transparent black, however the flames like those in the lamps are 7. Maybe that means the blue stars are opaque in the game. I'm not sure where they are from. The flames in the game are also mostly red. I'm not sure why, but the white and yellow parts are basically orange in the game. I wonder how it ends up that way, but I assume they are the same image. (Maybe the palettes are sometimes changed. I think maybe all of the images are brightened in the game; if so, possibly because it can be hard for artists to work with really bright images, which often represent the brightest possible version of the image under white hot lights.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:49:31 am by Holy_Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 06:39:18 pm »
WORD OF WARNING

If you're still out there... or "still around" last night I ran into trouble with banding in the sky (banding is a constant problem for simple sky backgrounds) and so ultimately decided that I need to change how the textures are converted to BMP files, so that instead of 7 being black, 0 is black, and instead of 255 being white, it's simply not possible to be fully white... but for KF2 it doesn't matter since the colors you see are much more bright/white hot compared to the texture images.

If you want new files, please let me know. You may want to wait until I've mapped everything to their models. That will solve the duplicates problem. I had to replace all of the images I'd applied to models with the new, darker images. So, as part of this, I outputted copies that use the convention I'm using for naming files for the project, which converts, for example, "832x,000y    1293760.bmp" to ii1293760.bmp. So I can also give you the renamed files at the same time. Although, there will be duplicates. If you are making files, you can rename them this way as you go. Like ii1293760.svg, although I suppose, the SVG files don't have to be named this way, but it will probably make things easier if they are so named, in alphanumerical order. (FWIW the "832x,000y" is very important for finding the files to apply to the models, but you don't need that to process the image.)

EDITED: Oh yeah, in the new system 0,0,0 converts to 8,8,8, but all other colors use 0 since they must have color in one of their components. So darkest blue is 0,0,8. That's the best that can be done, unless SOM's colorkey behavior is ever changed somehow. It probably should use 0,0,0 as colorkey and not 7,7,7 and less. It's just a matter of deciding when is the best time to commit to/institute such a change. (Probably around the same time I'm able to set up a better art system for SOM.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:31:30 pm by Holy_Diver »