Author Topic: Is this normal? (KF1SOM)  (Read 2597 times)

Offline EdmondDantes

• Long Sword Swinger
Is this normal? (KF1SOM)
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:39:38 pm »
So I have an old machine I play Windows 98 games on, and thought "why not try King's Field 1 PC?"

It seemed to run fine but some of the text was glitched.  In particular, one of Eric Baccus' (the second shopkeeper on the first floor) lines showed up completely garbled, and money displayed at first as .f (Period followed by an F).  I tried installing foreign fonts and Microsofts English-Japanese IME, and it... changed the font, but now money is * F (Asterisk-F, or at least a dot that I think is supposed to be an asterisk).  I haven't restarted to see if Eric's one line was fixed.

I was just wondering if this is normal for the PC version in Windows 98, or is there some additional font/software I should install, or do I have to actually install the SOM software itself (currently I only have KF1 installed)?

I'm also running the game in 800x600 16-bit color (I have a Voodoo 3 2000) if that makes any difference.  This comp is 700mhz and 512mb of ram, so its pretty maxed out for a Windows 98 SE comp.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Is this normal? (KF1SOM)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:39:41 pm »
Historically MS Gothic was all that was required to play the games correctly I thought, as long as you arent running the SOM editor itself.  Curious where did you download the game files and did they include an installable font?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 01:32:36 am »
Try Control Panel->Region Settings, and turn on Japanese for Non-Unicode programs. But if someone took the time to port this to use my work it would have 0 problems and play 1000% better.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 03:37:21 am »
EDITED: For the record, the player uses MS Mincho (a serif font.) But if you install Japanese language stuff you'll get that. But you need the "Non-Unicode" setting too I think.

Offline EdmondDantes

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 03:58:18 pm »
Hey, sorry I basically disappeared.  At the time there was no activity and I thought this forum was dead.

I never got KF1SOM working so I instead played the PS1 version, which I kinda prefer anyway because I'm a bit of a purist.

Anyway, I can't remember where I got KF1SOM.. I wanna say here:

http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/games/

But it was so long ago I can't be certain.

I had MSGothic installed but by the time other suggestions were made, I was no longer checking, sorry.