Author Topic: Problem with Xbox 360 controller  (Read 6961 times)

Offline Ioskeha

• Dagger Carrier
Problem with Xbox 360 controller
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:53:11 pm »
I'm trying to play King's Field with a Xbox 360 controller.  The controller works fine, but there is one problem.  The strafe left/right are set to buttons 7 and 8 which are the start and select on the controller.  With no way of changing them in the options setting. The game doesn't detect, or have settings, the L/R trigger buttons.  I thought I could just use xpadder to emulate the keyboard, but it doesn't work. The game still detects the controller.  I tried to setup a fake controller using PPjoy, but I couldn't get PPjoy to work in Windows 10.  I tried using Joy2Key, but I really have no idea how to use that program.  I use xpadder for my keyboard emulation needs.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my controller working so the L/R strafe isn't set to my start/select buttons?

Offline Ioskeha

• Dagger Carrier
Re: Problem with Xbox 360 controller
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:52:00 pm »
Never mind. I figured out problem. I had to use vJoy to setup the virtual controller. Now if I could only figure out how to set my left analog stick to strafe without wide turning (looks and strafes at the same time).

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:52:51 am »
I'm pretty sure that look/move config is hard-coded into SOM, so I imagine a virtual controller would just layer on top of that.

I wouldn't suggest using analogue for King's Field anyway, it's one series that actually feels (and works) better with a D-pad & shoulder buttons, in my opinion. It takes some getting used to, but feels and controls totally fine once you get the hang of it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:57:22 am by John Bailey »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Mati9319

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:44:35 am »
To Ioskeha:

Can you tell me what I need to do in order to configure vJoy to make the trigger buttons usable? I've downloaded it but have no idea on what to do. Also, I'm using a XBox One controller and as of now:
  • d-pad doesn't work (can move with left stick only, which kinda sucks),
  • trigger buttons don't work.

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:52:12 am »
I'm having the same problem. What was the solution?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 11:46:27 am »
XInput controllers use analog inputs instead of buttons. There must be a lot of software that can make them act like buttons, but even with the DirectInput API the trigger buttons will cancel one another out.

(I've fixed this for SOM with extension work, but no games take advantage of my work so, it's almost pointless to say so. Haven't gone the length to separate the triggers though... yet... assuming it's possible to.)

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:38:04 pm »
So did I buy the wrong controller? I'll use whatever works. Suggestions?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 12:13:17 am »
So did I buy the wrong controller? I'll use whatever works. Suggestions?

No, Microsoft just switched over to preferring XInput since it developed it for the Xbox, and stopped work on DirectInput. I'm not very familiar with XInput, but I think it's probably inferior to DirectInput. And still some flight simulator controllers, for example, probably prefer DirectInput if so. Did you buy a controller just for SOM? (Edited: but probably the underlying problem is that the XBox controllers have "analog" triggers instead of "digital" buttons... but you won't likely find any new controllers that aren't that way. I recommend trying to use Sony's controller, if possible, but the SIXAXIS is analog too, and DualShock2 adapters have become hard to come by.)

If you're genuinely interested in SOM you should be using www.swordofmoonlight.net SOM however it's kind of a mixed bag in different areas, like I haven't taken a specific interest in the KF remake published with SOM, so it can't readily help there. But if you are truly interested in SOM you could even take it upon yourself to modernize the KF remake for everybody. (Edited: if it's any incentive, I'm currently looking at adding Sony's VR headset to SOM, since I found out it seems like a really good candidate the other night, and that it's being used successfully with Windows.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:59:17 am by Holy_Diver »

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 02:09:08 am »
That's incredible about VR! I even started a petition years ago to get From Software to pursue King's Field VR.

It sounds like what you're telling me is it doesn't matter what controller I'm using, that I won't have access to the 2 buttons anyway? I may as well just play the game and lose my look up and down buttons.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 07:17:57 am »
That's incredible about VR! I even started a petition years ago to get From Software to pursue King's Field VR.

Did your petition have a nice image of the Exselector in a logo? I saw such a petition in a Reddit post like just a few weeks ago and saved the image because I liked it. Funnily, when I was following the OSVR forum years back, a woman appeared who was making a King's Field 2 inspired game using Wii-motes. She wouldn't really speak to me. Maybe only eventually replying to my overtures with a dismissive reply. But I thought it was such an unusual coincidence at the time. From what I could gather she was from South or Central America... I can't recall which. Anyway, I was disappointed with what the OSVR people (they are really the Razer--or Razor?--peripheral company from what I can gather) came up with, and so I did not pursue VR at the time. But the PSVR looks exactly like what I hoped for. I've written off consoles entirely, but weirdly I may buy one of these headsets when I'm in town in the next weeks.

EDITED: Just for the record, for SOM I'm only interested in limited use of the headsets; so that the controller is still going to be used to turn around fully, and there won't be anything involving handheld peripherals.

It sounds like what you're telling me is it doesn't matter what controller I'm using, that I won't have access to the 2 buttons anyway? I may as well just play the game and lose my look up and down buttons.

Well, If you give up so easily, maybe. But you shouldn't play it that way at all, if at all. You're not the only person in this boat. I'd be surprised if there's not 20 different tools to solve your problem. I just don't know any off the top of my head.

I posted a patch here recently for playing the Moratheia 2.1 demo. The same patch can be adapted to play the KF remake here. Then it will have XInput support. I map the left trigger to the Menu button, and the right to the Attack button, that way you can use the Magic and Attack buttons at the same time, without canceling each other out. (Also to run at full speed, forever, you have to hold Magic+Attack+Action, which won't work if they are canceled out.) Sorry, I can't be of more help, unless you embark on a modification project. Then I will offer technical consultation.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:21:03 am by Holy_Diver »