Author Topic: Problem with Xbox 360 controller  (Read 7047 times)

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
Re: Problem with Xbox 360 controller
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 06:27:29 pm »
It's not that I don't want to solve the problem just not sure I'm technically proficient enough to pull it off. I'll look for your patch and see if I can make your suggestion work.  I appreciate your advice.

I'm a life long King's Field fan, but wasn't a PC gamer since Sword of Moonlight came along. I just got a new laptop primarily for work, but I bought a gaming one for the specs and it was more cost effective. I have it plugged into my big screen with HDMI and looks pretty amazing.

I actually joined the Oculus Developer community years ago solely to post my petition for King's Field VR.  Didn't get much traction. Either people had no idea what King's Field was or they only like 3rd person with multiplayer ala Souls. Haters and trolls mostly.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/7726/please-help-me-start-a-vr-kings-field-game-project-sign

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 10:19:42 pm »
Can you walk me through how I download/apply your patch to KF1 and/or the other games?  It would be nice if other folks saw our conversation and weighed in with solutions if they have any.

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 10:51:19 pm »
Actually I seem to have gotten all buttons to work.  What is killing the gameplay is the screen will freeze every few steps.  I have to alt-tab out of the game, alt-tab back in and it's ok for a bit, and then freezes again.  Unplayable.

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 01:03:57 am »
Sorry for the multiple posts.  I started tinkering with graphic options in the settings in game and choosing something other than the default graphic option won't freeze.  Can't really tell the difference between them not counting RGB emulator, but seems like the ones with the Japanese symbols are the ones with least graphical distortion.  I still get a line through the screen fairly consistently which is irritating, but at least the game is playable now.

Couldn't figure out how to play the other games.  I am able to mount them, but the games won't play.  Would love to play Abyss since I beat Shadow Tower for the first time within the last two years.  Loved the game.

I was able to extract and play Dark Destiny, but that's probably because it doesn't require mounting.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:05:28 am by jwhyrock »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 01:29:16 am »
I've worked on SOM full-time for almost 10yrs. People (stupid people... most people... virtually all people in this case) go for the hardcore original SOM for Windows 95 experience every time. Instead of putting "Sword of Moonlight" into a search engine, and using the modern incarnation that I've devoted my life to. I'm developing it as the first noncommercial 3D story platform ever to be, which is fitting for the first modern 3D video game ever published.

Because developing a public 3D story platform (a storied, public 3D story platform) is a very heavy lift by any token, I don't wholeheartedly recommend it, since it's in a gray area between what is not really yet Beta software, but is technically a world of difference from the already finished/published product circa the year 2000. It's professional grade, but lacking a number of features that if they were finished I would feel more confident recommending SOM without fear that people will feel it's wasted their time... so it's out there for fans and cutting edge DIY developers, but not the general public.

The patch I mentioned is attached to a recent post. I only began using this forum for anything a few weeks ago. So it cannot be far back... especially because it's been very quiet here lately (not even the regular Brigandine chatter :movingeyes:)

Moratheia's project has potential to be a popular commercial title. I received a letter from its author just now. But it's easy to discount them because their life seems to me ever in the way of finding the necessary time to finish their product. The 2.1 demo is actually very old. They're supposed to be due an all new demo that is a full overhaul.

I can't be of much help, generally speaking. Here ( http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/ex/diy/ ) is my guide for installing SOM without the archaic issues you speak of. Patching is just copying some system files over into the game so that it launches with the "extended warranty" DLL file, etc. There's a forum in that website if you have time to make SOM a hobby of yours. I'm going to promote SOM more after I succeed in porting King's Field 2 to it. I'm aiming to do that by their joint 20th and 25th anniversary  in 2020, but I may well only get a project going by 2020--that will just have to settle for progress reports/demonstrations until the effort is completed in the ensuing years. KF2 has a number of features that SOM doesn't natively support, and right now I'm still finding myself working on many things KF2 doesn't require instead.

Actually I seem to have gotten all buttons to work.

Just out of curiosity... how so?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:33:31 am by Holy_Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 02:18:39 am »

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 03:04:20 pm »
I've worked on SOM full-time for almost 10yrs. People (stupid people... most people... virtually all people in this case) go for the hardcore original SOM for Windows 95 experience every time. Instead of putting "Sword of Moonlight" into a search engine, and using the modern incarnation that I've devoted my life to. I'm developing it as the first noncommercial 3D story platform ever to be, which is fitting for the first modern 3D video game ever published.

Because developing a public 3D story platform (a storied, public 3D story platform) is a very heavy lift by any token, I don't wholeheartedly recommend it, since it's in a gray area between what is not really yet Beta software, but is technically a world of difference from the already finished/published product circa the year 2000. It's professional grade, but lacking a number of features that if they were finished I would feel more confident recommending SOM without fear that people will feel it's wasted their time... so it's out there for fans and cutting edge DIY developers, but not the general public.

The patch I mentioned is attached to a recent post. I only began using this forum for anything a few weeks ago. So it cannot be far back... especially because it's been very quiet here lately (not even the regular Brigandine chatter :movingeyes:)

Moratheia's project has potential to be a popular commercial title. I received a letter from its author just now. But it's easy to discount them because their life seems to me ever in the way of finding the necessary time to finish their product. The 2.1 demo is actually very old. They're supposed to be due an all new demo that is a full overhaul.

I can't be of much help, generally speaking. Here ( http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/ex/diy/ ) is my guide for installing SOM without the archaic issues you speak of. Patching is just copying some system files over into the game so that it launches with the "extended warranty" DLL file, etc. There's a forum in that website if you have time to make SOM a hobby of yours. I'm going to promote SOM more after I succeed in porting King's Field 2 to it. I'm aiming to do that by their joint 20th and 25th anniversary  in 2020, but I may well only get a project going by 2020--that will just have to settle for progress reports/demonstrations until the effort is completed in the ensuing years. KF2 has a number of features that SOM doesn't natively support, and right now I'm still finding myself working on many things KF2 doesn't require instead.

Actually I seem to have gotten all buttons to work.

Just out of curiosity... how so?

I'm trying not to take offense to your commentary, but when you're calling people stupid does that include me?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but it sounds like you are attacking people for appreciating history/retro vs. new.  I never had the opportunity to play the original King's Field from Japan and now I can.  I'm playing KF1SOM fyi.  I'm all for new content and better software/hardware, but I also appreciate the original product.

On the controller I was trying to make the rear bumpers work, however, the buttons successfully mapped to what would typically be start/select ie the two small center buttons on the Windows controller.  Fine for me.  I didn't do anything special, just wasn't checking those buttons carefully initially.

I did look through many of your posts from new to old before your reply and found a comment where you made reference to a patch, but there was no download link or explanation of how to apply it.  So no this is not a case of not looking through a forum before asking a question. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:28:14 pm by jwhyrock »

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 03:25:18 pm »
I was reading the information on the .net site for SOM you provided.  Says Direct3D 9.  I have DirectX 12 installed.  Do I need 9 for best results?  I'm way way rusty on PC as I've been console gaming for several years.  I'm not completely ignorant, but haven't had to deal with this stuff for at least a decade. 

Also when you were referring to all your work developing SOM (which is appreciated greatly) I wasn't clear if you meant I could utilize SOM as a vehicle for better results to play games like KF1SOM or if you are referring to all the original content people have released using SOM.

I could use a little direction to make sure I'm on the same page with you.  I would absolutely love to develop original content to share, but time and life are a problem.  We'll see.  Never say never.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:27:35 pm by jwhyrock »

Offline jwhyrock

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 12:37:14 am »
Figured out the screen tearing I'm seeing is a result of the HDMI output to my big screen TV from my laptop.  Small price to pay for the better experience.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 04:43:32 am »
I did look through many of your posts from new to old before your reply and found a comment where you made reference to a patch, but there was no download link or explanation of how to apply it.  So no this is not a case of not looking through a forum before asking a question.

http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=845.msg13270#msg13270

Sorry, thought this post would still be "Recent." Should've given a link to my own accounts recent Posts. Good luck playing games with Start/Select :movingeyes: