Author Topic: My Map editor keeps Crashing  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Dracomundo

• Dagger Carrier
My Map editor keeps Crashing
« on: August 12, 2016, 07:16:38 pm »
Every single time I open up the SoM map editor, within minutes the program crashes. Can anyone help me?

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: My Map editor keeps Crashing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 08:54:01 pm »
It's most likely a Direct 3D compatability issue that modern Windows operating systems often have with SOM. I've figured out a few workarounds for this on my Window 8 machine. In general, the models that pop up in the preview panes are what's causing the crashing, so you need to avoid allowing them to appear.

* First off, I always do a quick playtest after opening the editor, this usually freezes the preview pane and allows me to work without crashes. If this doesn't work for you, the only other solution I've found is to compile the map after every time you scroll or select a map piece.

* Also, when working with objects you never want to click apply. Always click add and then back instead.

Otherwise, the best solution is to work on a PC that has Windows XP.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:11:50 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Smittiox

• Bow Bearer
Re: My Map editor keeps Crashing
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:57:57 pm »
I read on here somewhere a long time ago to install the direct x SDK from microsoft

it gives you the ability to turn off acceleration when running the map editor then turn it on again to test games

I'm using windows 7 and it works fine :) ... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

just click the direct draw tab, uncheck the box & apply :)

I also made a shortcut on the desktop to get to it easily (dxcpl.exe)

I dunno if it works for windows 8 + but I assume it would