Author Topic: Yup, I'm still around.  (Read 6227 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Yup, I'm still around.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 11:34:15 am »
I kind of liked those others too! But these are much more faithful to the original (very respectful) and don't look pixelated to me. I think that being this close to the originals is good if possible, at least so no KF2 fans are not upset :drool:

I would like to see them at high-resolution. I want to know if they are lumpy or not.  BTW: The size of the SVG file shouldn't matter.... making them bigger can help see them better. Just as long as the width/height is a multiple of the original.

EDITED/P.S. I'm done with adding layers to SOM (http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/archives/sword-of-moonlight/2018/09/layer-feature-unearthed-now-restored/) and am not sure what I'm doing right now/next in the meantime. Last night I looked at the first tile in Blender (sculpting software) to get a feel for the road ahead. I'm trying to get TheStolenBattenberg to tell me the things they say they've found out, and or share their new tools. As far as programming projects go, figuring out the doors and making the water transparent is on the top of my to-do list. I am going to make tiles with the original textures, so people can see them exactly as the original, and then figure out a way to redirect the player to use upgraded textures. I always keep busy! so I won't lose my mind :movingeyes:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:42:18 am by Holy_Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 11:59:33 am »
Hey! The right-hand column is not upscaled well you know. Be sure when you are enlarging to go from 128 to 256 (128*2) or else the pixels are distorted!

You SVGs have different colors from the original. For example, the green is very bright in the original cave wall (39r,55g,7b) and yours is much more gray overall (r46,r53,b25)

I'm not sure what the process you are doing is doing to change this, but it's important to get every detail just so. It looks like your image on the right has the same value for green as on the left. Do you know why it is not the same as the BMP? Or is there more than one green cave wall?

EDITED: Attached is the first green cave wall (320x,128y    0084352.bmp) for reference. See, it's green is much more lush. I want to be sure we don't make the game duller. If anything I want it to be more colorful :rainbow:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:04:42 pm by Holy_Diver »

Offline vongrimmsy0

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 12:27:51 pm »
That's the same file I used... Crap, I thought the colors were the same! :doh:

I'll have to see if I can extract the colors from the original and use them to swap palettes with the SVG... Hopefully I can figure out an easier way than that, because it would really bog down the whole process if I had to do that for all 800 some-odd files! :sweatdrop:

I just used a tool within Illustrator to make these, it's called Image Tracing - it vectorizes a non-vector picture based on what you select; one of the options is '16 colors', so that seemed to fit perfectly. Now that I think about it, it could've been that I'd blown the bmps up too much... I'm certain that I was going 3/4x the size on some, and that may have muddied the palettes.

I'll give em a try at 2x tomorrow. As for now, I'm hitting the sack! Will keep you updated on how it goes!
*ill-fated is the wind that does not blow a single mind*

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 02:14:20 pm »
I saw this in the earlier ones too. I would not make too many at this stage. Wait until the process is perfected. I have to make hundreds of 3D tiles for these skins. I don't rush into it :biggrin:

16 colors is probably how many colors will be used for the blobs in the SVG. A posterize filter can be used on the blown up image before conversion. But it will unlikely be exactly the same.

As long as there is an easy way to set the colors after, and they correspond to the originals, more or less, then setting them by hand is not a big deal. It takes time to do these things. Hundreds of hours is normal.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:21:58 pm by Holy_Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 03:49:24 pm »
You should also try to count the colors in the picture, since they may be less than 16. If the SVG looks different, instruct it to use fewer colors, so that it's likely to select the closest matches :wink:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 08:13:15 pm »
Hey! Here's a first image of KF2 via SOM :cool:

EDITED: Here is another with 16-bit color. The original is on the bottom. I usually prefer the 16-bit mode, although the stipple effect is pretty in your face in VR.

I'm reminded how much I despise Blender. It may not be precisely like the game. I will have to check later. I've been meaning to get my PlayStation VR back out, now that summer is past.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:20:29 pm by Holy_Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 07:51:51 pm »
Still around?

Here is another teaser. In case anyone wants to see what this project is like, before too long I'm going to make a back up file that I will periodically update with informal announcements on its project's page (http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=286.0)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 01:06:13 am »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the largest images are 128x128. If not the largest, then most. That being so I think we should start by making 4x renders of the SVG files. I may be wrong about this, but I think somewhere in SOM or the bmp2txr tool there is a limit of 512 width/height.

We can make alternative TEXTURE folders, and rename the folder to switch textures, and/or I will come with some kind of system for selecting an alternative folder more automatically. I envision one day SOM will be able to switch art styles on demand, like the Mario Maker can, but that day is yet to pass :smile:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 06:26:38 am »
For this image I've added a color adjusting function that feels much more like KF2 to me. I don't know why, but the colors are definitely less dingy. The textures appear a little more crumby, and could probably benefit from your high resolution versions.

Best viewed on a black screen. The moon is closer to scale than yesterday's. Funny story... the moon is in the North. I didn't think it would be, but I took yesterday's screenshot anyway, because I liked it, and didn't want to investigate the moon. But it turns out that that is exactly where the moon is! If it were in the south, the zone-wide lighting would look like it's coming from the moon's direction... however the lighting actually points up at the ceiling in the interiors... so it's not so easy to peg on the moon north or south.

P.S. The color function doesn't change "saturation" but just brings out midrange shades, and makes darker shades more dark, and lighter shades more light, and I've even made it so light goes over white a little bit. Saturation might help also. Part of me wonders if KF2 changes the palettes at runtime to be this way, and possibly more saturated (colorful) also. I would call this a vibrant filter. SOM did something similar, but I've not attempted to maintain that feature, both because it used the hardware gamma table, which only works in fullscreen mode, and maybe with CRT only, and because it makes it so artists don't see the same colors as they see when working on their art, which I fear will not make anyone's life any easier.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:32:22 am by Holy_Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 03:15:07 pm »
I now have semi-playable files for the following image here (http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/holy/KING'S%20FIELD%20II.zip)

You can definitely see how your SVG process is sorely needed. If you don't return I'm certain I will have to take on the job myself.

NOTE: I'm going to be updating the file at this URL so that it will have changed if you are reading this posts months from now.

Here (http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=286.0;attach=932;image) is an image of what to expect, at a minimum.