Author Topic: Seaguard  (Read 8193 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Seaguard
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 05:51:50 am »
ML, another tip:
I noticed that all your flat planes are using twice as many faces as they need, look at example below. I think that's a Blender thing, but if you could make them like A instead of B, you will have more room for the detailed stuff.

My A has 6 faces, your B has 12:

Usually graphics "engines" only deal in triangles. Hardware definitely doesn't understand "squares". Having faces with more than 3 points is more just for the convenience for the artist/engineer. It's actually a pain to prove a face is strictly planar if it has more than 3 vertices. You also don't know how they will be split in the end. Now we know :evil:

Offline darchangel

• Mace Masher
  • Guardian of the Light
    • http://www.kings-field.com
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 06:28:29 am »
Maybe I should have mentioned this was just for SOM purposes...just trying to save the room for the more detailed objects.

Your 1 square face object is displayed just the same as a 2 triangled face object in SOM.
He who was born with the light, will die with the light...rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 06:55:53 am »
Maybe I should have mentioned this was just for SOM purposes...just trying to save the room for the more detailed objects.

Your 1 square face object is displayed just the same as a 2 triangled face object in SOM.

It would be an interesting experiment I suppose if doing that let you import larger objects into Som could be confirmed.

Offline darchangel

• Mace Masher
  • Guardian of the Light
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 06:21:11 am »
I think it was in the old forums, John posted a picture of a forest and a waterfall.

His trees were made up of larger shapes and it was the texture that defined were we saw the foliage, with other parts painted black so they would not be visible in som.

They looked like full trees, but did not slow your game down.

He who was born with the light, will die with the light...rage against the dying of the light.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:22:40 am »
I think it was in the old forums, John posted a picture of a forest and a waterfall.

His trees were made up of larger shapes and it was the texture that defined were we saw the foliage, with other parts painted black so they would not be visible in som.

They looked like full trees, but did not slow your game down.

We don't really have any very efficient trees. I plan to do one tree model that will be dense but detailed / relying on textures much more than polygons. I'm going to also break it up in a set so you build the tree with limbs and pieces so that hopefully people can be more creative and Som will be less likely to have parts of the tree (versus the whole tree) disappear. I even plan to do one small area that will be like overgrown with this sort of tree forming the walls of the area more or less. So it will need to be fast.

Som doesn't do LOD other than mipmapping built in to Direct X, so you gotta be pretty middle of the road when thinking about crafting models for it.

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »
Hey Todd, The web sit says its full or something, And I havea corny problem I can't fix, I am trying to upload a file, for the good people to look at and dumb down for me:)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 10:44:18 pm »
Dunno why youd be getting that error unless ipower's server is crapping itself.

We still have tons of space left unused.  If it doesnt work soon let me know.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline AsusX2

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:24 pm »
yah the server is really slow right now so your probably right

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 11:41:27 pm »
Some of my corny new model work

Offline darchangel

• Mace Masher
  • Guardian of the Light
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 06:59:10 am »
That looks awesome. All you need now is a bonfire on the side somewhere and allow us to roast the corn...

@ Todd - I haven't been able to upload anything in a while either, I keep getting a folder is full message and the boards are running super slow. Tried on 2 different computers.

@Asus - Sorry, we took over your post and went way off topic with it...are you still in need of help?