Author Topic: 'Improved' sky for SoM  (Read 5644 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
'Improved' sky for SoM
« on: October 18, 2009, 05:04:02 pm »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: 'Improved' sky for SoM
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 09:29:33 pm »
Would it not make more sense to have posted this here, and cross linked it to the Agetec forums?

I realize it's probably the English speaking KF community hub, but it's still a corporate forum, and SOM is not an Agetec product (just for starters)

How many other SOM users are in the Agetec forums anyway?

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:09:46 am »
Once I get this version tested I will make a home for your addon somewhere on the site John.

Looking forward to trying this patch out :)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline AsusX2

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:27:50 pm »
Hey, that new sky patch did not do so well for use on my pc. I got alot of black spots in my foreground that moved with my camera view(not attached to sky). I ended up having to revert to the old sky. Might be my pc?

My pc specs
A8n32sli-delux at 2.4Mhz fsb
AMD 4800 x2 2.4mhz
duel sli 8800GT x32 Dx10 custom
4 disc raid 1 array with 1.04 mbt access (Tested)
Vista x64 Ultamate sp1

Like I said could be me.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:13:11 pm »
Might try underclocking your gpu/video ram (or returning it to normal if you're overclocking/your vendor overclocked your product) ...this sort of things tends to happen to overly aggressive use of the graphics drivers by commercial games. Not sure why/how SOM could have the same effect. It might also be caused by weird effects if you're running in software graphics mode. Not using the SLI might not hurt either if it isn't too much trouble.

You can underclock with software, but I admit it can be a pain in the ass. Especially if the settings won't stay put. I might try building underclocking options into a SOM extension if that is for some reason a real prob for people.

Not running Vista in Aero mode might help as well. Though I'm not sure Aero matters once SOM goes fullscreen. SOM does not present it's data to the hardware in the way modern hardware is optimized to receive it. So just a very simple thing can make things slow.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:21:02 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 02:53:12 am »
Well technically speaking the sky itself moves with the camera. It's possible that was what was meant?

Though why again should the stars look like black dots amidst fog? That's not appropriate either :smokin:

PS: Are the spots round or square? If their not square then most likely your scenario is like John's above^
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:55:53 am by Holy Diver »

Offline AsusX2

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:30:11 pm »
It looked like the white picture with the black spots! but the spots mooved with the camera. Ps they were square spots.

Offline AsusX2

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:39 pm »
it does'nt happen on any other one that i can see just the day one. B.T.W. nothing i use is overclocked. I am an electrical engineer, a lot of my hardware is custom (and approved and tested by said manufactures.)  :biggrin: That being said, i will try a few different driver adj's, see if that clears the issues but i dont suspect it will do much. i will let you know. It is also impossible to turn off DD on this system! (I am working on a new model wich may allow me to do this, however, Being that only som Requires me to do this i'm not sure If this will happen either.)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 02:22:40 am »
Well I've seen these symptoms before on more than one workstation. Including my last desktop which was virtually identical to yours. Underclocking will probably make this go away. Whether you're overclocked or not. It's not a sign that your machine is malfunctining, or that SOM is buggy, or that john's new sky is at fault. It's just a driver thing. Either a bug or intentional oversight for the sake of performance. New drivers won't necessarily fix it either.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:27:25 am »
Hey John, can I be bothersome and trouble you for an upload of the main bitmap you used to create the textures?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder