Author Topic: Adding custom items and weapons to SoM (unsticky me please)  (Read 25185 times)

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
Re: Adding custom items and weapons to SoM
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 04:35:19 pm »
Is it possible to add custom animation to weapon usage?

I mean I want one of my weapons to hit twice per slash.

Is that possible?

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 04:38:39 pm »
Its possible to add it as a "spell" and use it that way, but i'm not sure if we have that spell creation fixed yet.

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »
Still how do I make animations?

I will need it for my custom enemies.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 09:19:44 pm »
There is some information on making custom animated models in the how-to linked in the thread here. But it's not completely up to date. You can get a copy of Mick's tools for making animated models (x2mdl and cpgen) on his site site. You can also try asking question there.

I would recommend you start by making a simple animated Object if you don't have animation experience. Work your way up to custom enemies.

As far as I can tell, the last release of x2mdl is broken, so you might want to hunt down an older version.

Important things that aren't in the how-to:
Don't use two different textures on the same object in Metasequoia. The textures get messed up.
Make your skeleton's 'root node' at ground level (y=0).

I just got through making an new, updated humanoid skeleton (that's a skeleton structure for animating, not a skeleton enemy) for SoM models. It should be suitable for attaching to a standardized human body mesh.

I hope you do make some Georgian national weapons. I don't know much about your area's historical weapons. There is a Circassian Saber weapon in Shadow Tower Abyss. I think it would be from close your area.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:21:20 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 09:54:39 am »
Question about x2mdl's textures mapping to objects...

Have you found a way around using multiple textures? I didnt map two textures to one object and got nowhere, the model had only one texture and was crazily mapped.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 05:54:57 pm »
I used your 'weapon size' models for AirFlamesRed's sword and they worked beautifully- cooool!
I have a couple questions. Todd mentioned custom weapons sometimes look too bright or flicker during the 'swing'. Is there a fix for that?

I noticed armguards and full-body armor have four models (.mdo, _0.mdo, _1.mdo, _2.mdo) that seem to be replacement segments for the swing-arm model. If we want to make new hand armor, do we need to make 4 new models?  

Edit: I noticed there are a couple hidden objects in your 'exact sword' MDO model (a second sword etc); are they used for something? 

Have you found a way around using multiple textures? I didnt map two textures to one object and got nowhere, the model had only one texture and was crazily mapped.
If you're having trouble with a single texture, maybe the UV setup for your model goes off the edge of the texture somewhere. MDLs don't support 'tiling' meaning the UV area for any single polygon (triangle or quad) can't cross the edge of the texture and have the texture repeat like it does with an MDO.

If you're trying to do something that just has to use tiling (like a hidden door that matches a tiled wall) you should be able to split the model (door etc) into multiple polygons, each one using the texture once. So a door needing the texture tiled 3x wide and 2x high, would have 6 quads in it's surface, each displaying the full 256x256 texture.

That's the only 'single' texture problem I've encountered. If the problem is something else, free to send me the example.  :smile:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:31:19 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 05:16:33 am »
Ladies (If we have on this forum) and Gentlemen, may I proudly present you my new Battle Axe:

And this is ingame:

How do I make custom animations? could you please provide me with a link to post (if there is any)?
I really hate current slash animations and I'd like to make something similar to KF2

And How do I make transparent colors?
Sword Of Moonlight is transparent blue.
I want something similar.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:22:25 am by Creatura »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 07:26:32 am »
Axe looks good - very fantasy like! You've got the shading right too ;) this is whatcha get when you use "real" textures.
Btw, a tip. If you are using one texture, you can add shading by using the blend tool in gimp to create "light" you can select different types of shading here. Most of the SoM stock models look like they have this similiar shading method. See pic.

You can choose to have the "side" swing model like the Shiden's swing in kf2. You need to select a profile that has this swing embedded into it.
In this case choose the 017.prf for the two handed sword, the length will probably be just off for the likes of your axe. What i do for length is adjust my model in metaseq first.

Custom animations can be found in the keynote thread. For your arm animations you'l need to replace the arm.mdl in the data/my folder, and ill just say not many of us have tried customising swings yet, so if you could find out for us you'd be helping us out alot.

Transparency can be attained through the material panel, ill add a flask to this post to give an example. You can compare / understand by looking at the material values.

Wolf, none of my UV's in mdls stretch over the texture.
I'll send you my demon warrior to take a peek at.

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 07:50:51 am »
I didn't quite understand that transparency thing because it isn't transparent when I render it in metaseq.
I'll try harder to understand it.

As for the textures: I don't actually use GIMP any more. I found Paint Shop Pro much efficient.

I knew it about those prf-s and I don't like any of them.

I just need a tut on how to animate things and how will I be able to make an arm.

<EDIT>

I think that I can't render it correctly because I don't have the textures you used for this model.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:55:10 am by Creatura »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 07:53:26 am »
Yes it wont show in metaseq because it is the diffuse slider.

You can find a tutorial here. It is exceptional.

http://swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php/topic,464.0.html