Author Topic: Sword of Moonlight.... for the PSP?  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Sword of Moonlight.... for the PSP?
« on: December 27, 2011, 05:40:54 pm »
How epic would it be if we could make some changes in the SoM program and have it make EBOOTS rather than EXE files?

There's more and more homebrew out there and I'd LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE to have my hand in making a homebrew King's Field game for the PSP.  Being that there's software out there to sign games (making homebrew playable to people who only have official firmware) I think it would be great if we could start seeing some of these games for the handheld gaming world.

Currently, there's a PC program called PSPConstructor that can make PSP games... and despite the ease of use it claims to have, I still don't have a clue how to do anything with it.

Since I don't know the first thing about programming, I wouldn't know if it would be possible to swipe the eboot generator code from the PSPConstructor and apply it to SoM. 

T'would be nice though....

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Sword of Moonlight.... for the PSP?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 07:18:12 pm »
Im sure it could be done...they just created a psp homebrew of the openBOR engine that runs on PC...though sadly I wouldnt have a clue where to start :/
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »
Yes. 

There's also PSP version of older PC shooter games like Quake, Doom and Hexen.
Like, good smooth graphics too.

They're more than just an eboot though....  like Quake has other folders with files besides just an eboot.

Offline MoonLightSlayer

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 05:21:36 pm »
That would be cool damn i wish there was a way for as to get thew cell phone king's field games that would be nice. :sadani:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »
Nice cat and sword in your pic Tom :P

You know who would probably be able to tell you how difficult it would be to port SOM to the PSP.....Holydiver heh.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:07:57 pm »
Thanks!  I like that picture.  I also like this one of my wife and myself taken in the same stride.

Yeah.  That's ironic alright.  Who can help? 
A dick named Mick!

( ^ - ^)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 04:21:12 pm »
Lovely picture :) I think I have that same cardinal tree ornament- spooooky! Or maybe not. . . who knows

I don't think SoM could get ported to PSP and I doubt Mick would have a clue about it. The "process hooking" method he's using for SomEx (intercepting processing calls and re channeling them through newer DX procedures) is a feature built into the Windows platform to help developers debug their programs but it doesn't apply outside Windows. Mick has said several times that he's clueless about hacking (editing compiled machine code) which is why he's using the add-on hooking approach instead of working directly on SoM's game.exe.

The PSP can't handle the amount of polygons/texture-memory that SoM can, but even if you made a lower-end SoM game the PSPs processor would have to handle several layers of emulation (to create a DX environment for SoM) on top of SoM's normal processing demands. I doubt the PSP could handle that much effectively.

The only other option would be to make SoM run natively in the PSP environment, but you would need to have the source code (which, I think, is how Doom, Hexen etc were ported to PSP) or some serious hacking talent to decompile SoM's game.exe.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:34:38 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 02:28:00 pm »
Or we could wait for a next gen psp to handle our projects :)

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:11:45 am »
Lovely picture :) I think I have that same cardinal tree ornament- spooooky! Or maybe not. . . who knows

Thanks!  ( ^ - ^)

The only other option would be to make SoM run natively in the PSP environment, but you would need to have the source code (which, I think, is how Doom, Hexen etc were ported to PSP) or some serious hacking talent to decompile SoM's game.exe.

Or we could wait for a next gen psp to handle our projects :)

Or you guys could check out the "...now for something completely different..." thread that I've been working on...  Its not quite SoM on the PSP, but its a relatively neat alternative. 
( ^ - ^)

Quick reference to the playable demo I made....  If you've got a PSP.
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/tfok_demoplay.zip
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:15:47 am by Hguols »