Author Topic: Has anyone tried to get PS1 modles using 3DRipperDX?  (Read 12319 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Has anyone tried to get PS1 modles using 3DRipperDX?
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:50:32 am »
I know we can import PS1 models without textures, but has anyone tried to extract a PS1 model using 3DRipperDX?

For anyone who doesn't know 3DRipper works with DirectX to make a 3D 'image' of whatever your PC's video card is drawing at the time including textures and all.

As far as I know, it will not extract PS2 models while using the PCSX2 emulator. That emulator doesn't render the back of models (to save memory) so models come out 'flat'. It doesn't extract animations either of course- just stills.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Has anyone tried to get PS1 modles using 3DRipperDX?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:22:05 am »
Holy had extracted the textures for a few items, I believe the Galth Fee shield and maybe one other item.

I have become much much better at textures since I made DD (I am basically doing it as a side job now for xbox games) and would be more than happy to retexture the blank ps1 models so that they have the proper resolution and style to fit SOM games rather than try to remap the very blocky textures of the PS1 originals.

The real trouble when you extract the PS1 textures that I have seen is it grabs the whole screen and dumps it into a block texture, so none of the coordinates match up anyways.

I will go ahead and volunteer myself to create textures for any PS1 models that get set up...in fact I may just go ahead and start making them all.

Consider it a project in progress and I will get some results in a few weeks and have the whole KF 2,3 set available in the addons section (items that arent already present in SOM of course).
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:21:08 am »
Interesting stuff. I wouldnt mind doing a bit of retexturing myself.

Though i think the most promising is the latest custom mdl.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
Preserving the texture isn't the real benefit. The TMD model format that we can extract from the KF games is just one of hundreds of different model formats used in PS1 titles. 3DRipper is the only way I know that might be able to extract models from ANY PS1 game.
I was thinking more of things like weapon models for Cloud Strife's sword from Final Fantasy 7 etc.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 07:07:27 pm »
John, Im curious since you are now on the forefront of mdl support, have you spent any time on contemplating a shadow tower enemy import?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 07:51:48 pm »
I don't know if anyone has determined what format ST's models are in? If they're in a unique proprietary format, I doubt they will ever be imported to SoM. If they are in Playstation's standard TMD format (technically I think PS1 animated models are in RSD format) then there is some hope for an eventual import.

Currently Mick's MDL converter is a long way away from that. I don't think anyone has ever successfully extracted an animated PS1 model in TMD/RSD format-at least I've never even seen a viewer tool much less an extractor. There have been some extractors for propietary game-specific models (FF etc) but not for Sony's standard TMD/RSD. It might be easier to extract just the models (no animation) and then add our own animation. That could possibly happen soon.

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:07:25 pm »
I'm trying to import models from PS images but I end up with flat image containing 1000+ objects.

I tried using multiple 3ds max-s and only 7 works.
I also tried multiple emulators and only ePSXe worked with dx6 plugin.

I just want to rip off some sword models.
What do I do?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:52:35 am »
Attached is a set of tools that should let you import a Playstation model into Metasequoia.

Drag the 'ITEM.T' file off your KF game disk onto your desktop.
Use psxmultirip.exe to extract the TMD files from 'ITEM.T'
Use TMD2LWO_Conv.bat to convert the TMDs to LWOs.
Metasequoia will open LWO files.

Some notes- when you open the LWO files, they will be very small in Metasequoia so zoom WAY or change the scaling ratio when you open the LWO. You might have to 'invert' or 'unify' faces in Metasequoia.

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 04:52:38 pm »
Wow!!! That was helpful!

Thank you HwitVlf!

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 06:30:35 pm »
 :smile: